update on computer saga -- utter frustration

update on computer saga -- utter frustration

October 1st, 2011, 3:08 pm #1

Ladies, I need to vent some more about my busted computer, hope you don't mind.

I've got the sinking feeling that the computer tech place is giving me the run-around. Something is fishy. When I told the tech guy on Monday that I wanted to pick up my computer and (brand new) external hard drive, he had said he would bring them to the drop-off location on Tuesday, maybe Wednesday and that I should call to make sure (he works at an off-site location). He hasn't returned 4 messages I left on his voice mail. I called the general number yesterday and spoke to a live person who said he would call tech guy to see if my stuff was available for me to pick up and would call me back in 5 minutes. Well guess what, he never called back! And when I called the general line again no one answered. These guys all have caller id and I think they are avoiding my calls. The computer tech guy answered my calls in the beginning; now when I call it always goes into voice mail. The tech guy told me on Monday he had tried to call last week but must have had the wrong number, which is total bs b/c he had called me three times after I first dropped it off. My numbers are in their system.

My brother is making me paranoid that the tech guy stole my hard drive and lied about it being busted. I'm paranoid that they busted it trying to get the data off and are reluctant to return it to me.

I feel so naive for not questioning him further when he told me the motherboard was dead. And when he claimed that to get the data off the hard drive he might need to break up the computer (or something along those lines), which my brother tells me is ridiculous. Shoot ladies, I am not a computer expert at all. I thought it was a little odd, but I've got so much else going on in my life with DS's behavior/dr's appointments/work stress that I wasn't in the best form to start questioning why it would be so difficult to take out a hard drive when people replace hard drives in their computers all the time.

This place, by the way, has an A+ rating with the BBB. Its online reviews are stellar. They have several locations and it's been around a while, so it seemed reputable.

The drop off place is only open a few hours a day (3-6) so I haven't been able to go by this week. But I am going by today to raise a ruckus.

October 1st, 2011, 3:23 pm #2

that sounds fishy to me too and I hope you get things resolved today. If not, my next move would be to ask to speak with a supervisor/manager etc. If that leads nowhere, then I'd call my local cop-shop to see what advice they could give me.

If you do get your laptop back and you don't trust anybody to touch it again, I can have my friend look at it. He's a computer guru.

Keep us posted. and grrr at the tech guy.

julie

October 1st, 2011, 7:27 pm #3

I've got the sinking feeling that the computer tech place is giving me the run-around. Something is fishy. When I told the tech guy on Monday that I wanted to pick up my computer and (brand new) external hard drive, he had said he would bring them to the drop-off location on Tuesday, maybe Wednesday and that I should call to make sure (he works at an off-site location). He hasn't returned 4 messages I left on his voice mail. I called the general number yesterday and spoke to a live person who said he would call tech guy to see if my stuff was available for me to pick up and would call me back in 5 minutes. Well guess what, he never called back! And when I called the general line again no one answered. These guys all have caller id and I think they are avoiding my calls. The computer tech guy answered my calls in the beginning; now when I call it always goes into voice mail. The tech guy told me on Monday he had tried to call last week but must have had the wrong number, which is total bs b/c he had called me three times after I first dropped it off. My numbers are in their system.

My brother is making me paranoid that the tech guy stole my hard drive and lied about it being busted. I'm paranoid that they busted it trying to get the data off and are reluctant to return it to me.

I feel so naive for not questioning him further when he told me the motherboard was dead. And when he claimed that to get the data off the hard drive he might need to break up the computer (or something along those lines), which my brother tells me is ridiculous. Shoot ladies, I am not a computer expert at all. I thought it was a little odd, but I've got so much else going on in my life with DS's behavior/dr's appointments/work stress that I wasn't in the best form to start questioning why it would be so difficult to take out a hard drive when people replace hard drives in their computers all the time.

This place, by the way, has an A+ rating with the BBB. Its online reviews are stellar. They have several locations and it's been around a while, so it seemed reputable.

The drop off place is only open a few hours a day (3-6) so I haven't been able to go by this week. But I am going by today to raise a ruckus.

I hope your worries turn out to be unfounded and that he just hasnt been around to answer the phone or return calls.

If I were you, id give the store an ultimatum: either I get my computer back by _____(date you choose) or you will contact the police and report it as stolen.

That should get them moving....

PD

October 1st, 2011, 7:53 pm #4

He forgot to bring back the new external hard drive. Grrr. That means I have to go pick it up this coming week. It's not that it's so far away, but it's at a busy intersection that is always a PITA to drive in and out of. And they're open so few, very inconvenient hours....

I had phoned this morning and left another message expressing my exasperation and he finally returned my call...and I'm guessing drove in and dropped it off later in the day. Computer looks the same, not busted up, so relieved at that.

I've got a new company lined up to look at the hard drive and keeping my fingers crossed that they can salvage something. My brother in the meantime told me that camera memory cards can still have old pictures on them even after they've been erased, so if this second attempt with the hard drive isn't successful, I might take our memory cards in to see what might be found.

Thanks for listening to my paranoid rant. I've been stressed out in general about a lot of things (work, kids) and this was really setting me off!

October 1st, 2011, 8:18 pm #5

I think I posted about that before. We were able to recover images from a Fuji memory card. GL!!

Keiki's Makuahine (Keiki's Mom) 50, dh 50
Keiki: b. 2002 after 3 months bedrest
Natural conception following ZIFT/chem. pg

Olivia: b. 1999 d. 1999
28-week preemie, ptl cause unknown
Natural conception after 1 mc

ttc since 1998

October 2nd, 2011, 3:35 pm #6

He forgot to bring back the new external hard drive. Grrr. That means I have to go pick it up this coming week. It's not that it's so far away, but it's at a busy intersection that is always a PITA to drive in and out of. And they're open so few, very inconvenient hours....

I had phoned this morning and left another message expressing my exasperation and he finally returned my call...and I'm guessing drove in and dropped it off later in the day. Computer looks the same, not busted up, so relieved at that.

I've got a new company lined up to look at the hard drive and keeping my fingers crossed that they can salvage something. My brother in the meantime told me that camera memory cards can still have old pictures on them even after they've been erased, so if this second attempt with the hard drive isn't successful, I might take our memory cards in to see what might be found.

Thanks for listening to my paranoid rant. I've been stressed out in general about a lot of things (work, kids) and this was really setting me off!
good luck at that new place.

the camera's memory card can hold some of the erased images as long as that space hasn't been used again.
When my card got "corrupted", I ran to buy a card dock (had been connecting camera directly to laptop up to that point) and downloaded free software to recover deleted files.

I can relate to being stressed and having just one more thing go batty on you. hope from here on in it gets smoother.
Keep us posted, my dear.
jm

October 4th, 2011, 12:52 pm #7

My dh is in IT and I told him your story. The first thing you do is get an external hard drive reader and see what is on it. We did it twice with my computers. The reader is specific for your hard drive. Is that what you have? You put the actual hard drive from your old computer in it and hook it up to another computer.

Although having water damage can burn everything, you won't know until you get a look at the hard drive. It is totally possible for the hard drive to be fully corrupted, but usually it would have some good sectors containing your pics.

October 4th, 2011, 1:01 pm #8

I didn't get a chance to read through all these links, but I think they may be helpful to understand how the work is done. I glanced at the term "slave drive" and that sounds something like what my dh explained. He also mentions it depends on what type of computer and operating system you have. I remember that having the external case was the only way to read the hard drive, so just want to make sure that is what they are doing for you.

http://tips4pc.com/articles/computer%20 ... puter_.htm

http://www.capsicumgroup.com/component/ ... iew/id,23/

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-get ... ard-drive/

October 5th, 2011, 1:41 am #9

I do think that it sounds a bit odd, the attitude of the repair guy however I want to say one thing. Water and vacuum cleaners are bad for computers. Bad, bad, bad. Your hard drive may be sealed tight but water can cause things to short out on the motherboard and if something isn't working there, then it can render your hard drive useless. That's not to say that you can't recover the stuff but if a hard drive is damaged while being handled (dropped for e.g.) then it can be tough to get any information off it.

Vacuum cleaners should never, ever be used around a computer tower or desktop. It causes an electric charge to build up which will eventually dissipate and can cause major damage to your motherboard. I fried mine like that one time. I thought that as my computer was off it would be ok. NOPE.

i know that wasn't the cause in your situation but for anyone who is reading this, there are special cans of air that you can use to clean dust etc. from your computer. Keep vacuum cleaners away from them. And as for the water, I tend to think that the repair went a bit wrong and is probably being covered up, but water can totally do irrepairable damage.

So sorry you're going through this. Your boys are lovely and I can totally understand how disappointing it will be to lose those pics. Fingers crossed that you can recover at least some of them

Hugs,
Z.
Last edited by ZakiaZ on October 5th, 2011, 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

October 5th, 2011, 1:55 am #10

and I hate to say it but it sounds very possible that as your motherboard got fried a surge could have damaged your hard drive. Damage can totally be done from circumstances outside the drive itself, however, I'm no sure that that would be enough to say that you can't recover some data. I think it will take a lot more than that to not be able to recover data. Fire damage maybe?

Here's a google search that has brought up a few hits that you may want to take a look at:

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&sourc ... l2-1.3l4l0

HTH,
Z.