Teacher concern - need thoughts, please

Teacher concern - need thoughts, please

August 31st, 2011, 12:14 pm #1

So far everything has been fine. DD has not complained about anything - well, she doesn't like the new PE teacher.

Last night we were going through her backpack doing her HW and I saw a folder that I never saw before. I took it out and realized it was a writing folder that must be left at school. Inside was a 4 sided paper, handwritten by DD about her summer vacation. The teacher used red ink and most of her writing is crossed out. I looked at this and was very upset as that just seems like a mean thing to do - to cross out the majority of her work. I think that is a great way to kill someone's confidence! I asked her what this was and she quickly took it and said she took the folder home by mistake - and it was obvious she didn't want me looking at it.

I'm not sure what to do now. Tonight happens to be the Open House night where we are meeting the teachers (9 of them, I think) and will get to see her classrooms. I don't think I will have time to discuss it then, but we have emailed and I could email the teacher. I don't want to be a parent that complains but I do think I have a right to know why the paper was marked up.

Also keep in mind they know about DD and her challenges.

What should I do?

August 31st, 2011, 12:34 pm #2

I would definitely talk to the teach about this especially since your DD seems embarrassed about this. I agree, it can discourage and this way of marking is mean, in my opinion. Not at this age.

good luck, how disappointing that this teacher seems so severe.

jm

me:42, DH 43
FSH 26
DS: born by c-sec Apr15'03, 9lbs5oz 41wks gest. (after 4 years of ttc, starting in 1998)
DD born by c-sec Oct 13 2007, 8lbs13oz 39wk gest. (after just under 3 years of ttc)
~~DS was conceived naturally the cycle following a cancelled DE IVF, using my good friend's eggs. She was on the verge of hyperstimming.
~~DD's nat conception I attribute to using OPKs like a crazy nut, eating grapefruit daily and using preseed. also 5 cycles of TCM ending 2 cycles before that lucky cycle.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

August 31st, 2011, 5:36 pm #3

So far everything has been fine. DD has not complained about anything - well, she doesn't like the new PE teacher.

Last night we were going through her backpack doing her HW and I saw a folder that I never saw before. I took it out and realized it was a writing folder that must be left at school. Inside was a 4 sided paper, handwritten by DD about her summer vacation. The teacher used red ink and most of her writing is crossed out. I looked at this and was very upset as that just seems like a mean thing to do - to cross out the majority of her work. I think that is a great way to kill someone's confidence! I asked her what this was and she quickly took it and said she took the folder home by mistake - and it was obvious she didn't want me looking at it.

I'm not sure what to do now. Tonight happens to be the Open House night where we are meeting the teachers (9 of them, I think) and will get to see her classrooms. I don't think I will have time to discuss it then, but we have emailed and I could email the teacher. I don't want to be a parent that complains but I do think I have a right to know why the paper was marked up.

What should I do?
who teaches composition (college level), I can say I would NEVER NEVER do that to an adult, let alone a child.

IMPO, it is ineffective and perhaps even pedagogically detrimental to mark up a beginner's paper that much. Frankly, I don't mark ANYBODY's paper that much because if they're a beginner, they need encouragement and only small doses of critique, and if they're not a beginner, they should learn or know how to edit and proofread their own papers.

This is my general policy and I didn't invent it. I try to find at least 1 nice thing to say, preferably more, and I limit my criticisms to 3 things.

I think it's very telling that dd didn't want you to see it.

Having said this, I encourage you to approach this person and topic carefully.

I might ask questions like these:

What are you trying to help dd achieve?

How would you encourage a beginning writer?

Do you think this much red ink might be overwhelming?

Keiki's Makuahine (Keiki's Mom) 50, dh 50
Keiki: b. 2002 after 3 months bedrest
Natural conception following ZIFT/chem. pg

Olivia: b. 1999 d. 1999
28-week preemie, ptl cause unknown
Natural conception after 1 mc

ttc since 1998

August 31st, 2011, 7:08 pm #4

What should I do?
especially since your DD obviously feels ashamed of it. Did you get a chance to read the paper? Maybe her tutor could help her with writing too?

Pink

August 31st, 2011, 7:40 pm #5

who teaches composition (college level), I can say I would NEVER NEVER do that to an adult, let alone a child.

IMPO, it is ineffective and perhaps even pedagogically detrimental to mark up a beginner's paper that much. Frankly, I don't mark ANYBODY's paper that much because if they're a beginner, they need encouragement and only small doses of critique, and if they're not a beginner, they should learn or know how to edit and proofread their own papers.

This is my general policy and I didn't invent it. I try to find at least 1 nice thing to say, preferably more, and I limit my criticisms to 3 things.

ttc since 1998
b/c the open-house will just be too busy.

I do empathize so much. DS is not enjoying math. He normally likes math. I've heard rumors from other parents that this teacher even yells at the kids. I've worked with her in the past on a school project for my own graduate program, and she's intense and seems to jump around intellectually.

ttc since 1998

cy2

August 31st, 2011, 11:34 pm #6

What should I do?
It obviously needs to be discussed, but I'd be careful if the teacher would do that to a young child. To me it shows a lack of concern for the emotional health of the student and also a colossal lack of judgement and/or a colossal ego.

If you don't have a good response from the teacher, is there an alternative teacher for writing for DD?

Good luck!

cy

September 1st, 2011, 2:04 am #7

What should I do?
Thanks for the replies. I did some more thinking...I really want to be sure I have as much info as possible so I can tread lightly. It's the beginning of the year and I want this to be smooth year and I really do not want to not have to intervene.

I found out the the assignment was going to be displayed at the open house where we got to meet the teachers - it was tonight. The copy that I saw (that I guess I wasn't supposed to see) was the rough draft.

DD's final copy was typed (they use mac's in school) and displayed tonight along with her classmates. Her final copy was great and she even picked a very different font from everyone else. She loves using my mac and using the computer is 2nd nature for her.

I asked DD about it (sort of) and she said her draft was too long and the teacher (not sure if that was the exact words) make it shorter. The assignment was to write a paragraph about the summer vacation and I think it was supposed to be a shorter than what DD had written since hers
was 4 pages --- having said that, I am still concerned about all the cross-outs, and red-ink.

DD could have been upset because of the cross outs and/or she only wanted me to see the final copy. I'm not sure what to do now.

Does anyone have any ideas??

September 1st, 2011, 2:10 am #8

It obviously needs to be discussed, but I'd be careful if the teacher would do that to a young child. To me it shows a lack of concern for the emotional health of the student and also a colossal lack of judgement and/or a colossal ego.

If you don't have a good response from the teacher, is there an alternative teacher for writing for DD?

Good luck!

cy
I posted an update. This teacher was given to her specifically as she is supposed to have experience with kids with ADHD and the like. This seems just mean to me, to do this and if it was my paper I would have burst into tears... I am going to try to ask DD more about it tomorrow.

I agree with you, that I don't like the cross outs, let alone the red pen as it's a confidence killer... I am not sure if DD was upset over the cross outs, or not wanting me to see it as she wanted to keep it a a surprise so I would only see the final typed version - maybe a combo of both.

I need to find a way to bring it up without "complaining" as it's only the the 3rd week of school. I don't want to start off on a bad note.

Thanks for the post. How are things with you??

xo

September 1st, 2011, 2:17 am #9

ttc since 1998
I posted an update and I think this will help when I get to discuss this more.

I think she was trying to shorten her paper as I think (not sure) it was supposed to be paragraph about the summer vacation. DD's was 4 pages and included lots of detail - which I think is excellent for DD. There were many misspelled words and not all the punctuation was right, the teacher also corrected/changed her wording on some of the sentences - possibly to make the paper shorter? I'm not sure exactly.
This was the 1st assignment and it was done in class, so we did help with it at all - obviously.

What do you think now? I don't know how to approach the teacher without mailing it like I am criticizing her for her teaching methods...as I think that's going to put me down the wrong path. She is supposed to be good with kids with challenges and this why DD was placed with her. I don't think it's very positive to have red ink all over the 1st paper, but if that's her style or her way --- what can I do?

September 1st, 2011, 3:18 am #10

Thanks for the replies. I did some more thinking...I really want to be sure I have as much info as possible so I can tread lightly. It's the beginning of the year and I want this to be smooth year and I really do not want to not have to intervene.

I found out the the assignment was going to be displayed at the open house where we got to meet the teachers - it was tonight. The copy that I saw (that I guess I wasn't supposed to see) was the rough draft.

DD's final copy was typed (they use mac's in school) and displayed tonight along with her classmates. Her final copy was great and she even picked a very different font from everyone else. She loves using my mac and using the computer is 2nd nature for her.

I asked DD about it (sort of) and she said her draft was too long and the teacher (not sure if that was the exact words) make it shorter. The assignment was to write a paragraph about the summer vacation and I think it was supposed to be a shorter than what DD had written since hers
was 4 pages --- having said that, I am still concerned about all the cross-outs, and red-ink.

DD could have been upset because of the cross outs and/or she only wanted me to see the final copy. I'm not sure what to do now.

Does anyone have any ideas??
at the open house.

I would tell her that you enjoyed both versions, and leave it at that.

So glad you found a reasonable explanation for all the red lines.

Pink