Spoke too soon—DS sent home from camp again

Spoke too soon—DS sent home from camp again

June 26th, 2012, 8:23 pm #1

Pushing boys in the bathroom.

Im speechless.

Pink

June 26th, 2012, 8:30 pm #2

It's not you.

Just keep reminding him to use his words. He'll get it.

S

June 26th, 2012, 9:23 pm #3

Im speechless.

Pink
I'm so sorry. I wasn't able to respond to your other post but I did read it & I was so happy things were looking up.

Based on what little I know, I agree with Susan. It's not you. It's him. And there is no reason to think he won't get it eventually. Boys are so impulsive at times.

I'm a little surprised they sent him home for that alone. Do they have some sort of zero tolerance policy? It seems like he should have gotten a time out or a warning or something before being sent home. He's 5, right? It just seems to me that with such young children, the camp should expect some minor issues & be able to handle them.

Did an adult see it? I'm learning quickly how inaccurate small children can be. I have no problem with my child being held responsiable & I would certainly not look the other way if he was misbehaving, but I would want to make sure of what happened.

June 26th, 2012, 9:54 pm #4

Im speechless.

Pink
They seem so intolerant. How many more weeks? Have you talked to the director? I'm just wondering if the teachers are too inflexible and lazy to teach the kids to cooperate.

Keiki's Makuahine (Keiki's Mom) 51, dh 52
Keiki: b. 2002 after 3 months bedrest
Natural conception following ZIFT/chem. pg

Olivia: b. 1999 d. 1999
28-week preemie, ptl cause unknown
Natural conception after 1 mc

ttc since 1998

June 27th, 2012, 1:39 am #5

Im speechless.

Pink
Ugh, so sorry to hear this. I am doing a lot of research on diet and behavior issues, it overwhelming let me tell you but a very real issue. Additives, preservatives, food coloring all are linked to issues. Now I am reading about salicylates, this one worries me because it it in a lot of healthy natural foods like tomatoes, grapes, red apples.... My oldest son was out of control last week while on vacation, hitting his siblings. Once I started reading I realized we bought gatorades for the beach and popsicles for them to eat, plus the snack foods all had bad ingredients and I think it might be related. Think about what DS is eating, the fact that he was calm for over a week, is there anything you ran out of that he eats that he just started eating again?

June 27th, 2012, 3:14 am #6

It's not you.

Just keep reminding him to use his words. He'll get it.

S
I believe you are a therapist, so it means alot coming from you. I just worry about what kindergarten will hold for him if we cant figure out how to stop the pushing. He really is a very sweet boy, but once in a while just pushes.

Pink

June 27th, 2012, 3:17 am #7

I'm so sorry. I wasn't able to respond to your other post but I did read it & I was so happy things were looking up.

Based on what little I know, I agree with Susan. It's not you. It's him. And there is no reason to think he won't get it eventually. Boys are so impulsive at times.

I'm a little surprised they sent him home for that alone. Do they have some sort of zero tolerance policy? It seems like he should have gotten a time out or a warning or something before being sent home. He's 5, right? It just seems to me that with such young children, the camp should expect some minor issues & be able to handle them.

Did an adult see it? I'm learning quickly how inaccurate small children can be. I have no problem with my child being held responsiable & I would certainly not look the other way if he was misbehaving, but I would want to make sure of what happened.

I dont believe an adult saw it, it was in the bathroom when they were changing out of their swim suits after swim class.

The first time they sent him home, he had pushed 2 or 3 times. Today, it was twice in the bathroom.

I am getting a little frustrated on many levels because 1) This is supposed to be daycare for him, totally messing up my ability to work 2)Why cant they handle this and correct it? The camp counselor is a 3rd grade teacher. She is really sweet and my son just adores her, but apparently she is ineffective in getting him to change his ways. 3)Still reeling about the comment from the director suggesting my Ds has a disability.

And the biggest worry for me is, with Kindergarten starting in Aug., what are we in for? DH and I are quite concerned.

Pink

June 27th, 2012, 3:22 am #8

They seem so intolerant. How many more weeks? Have you talked to the director? I'm just wondering if the teachers are too inflexible and lazy to teach the kids to cooperate.

Keiki's Makuahine (Keiki's Mom) 51, dh 52
Keiki: b. 2002 after 3 months bedrest
Natural conception following ZIFT/chem. pg

Olivia: b. 1999 d. 1999
28-week preemie, ptl cause unknown
Natural conception after 1 mc

ttc since 1998
This camp goes through Aug. 1st. but you register week by week. We probably wont stay the whole summer if it is going to continue like this. The thing is, my son LOVES going there. I have no idea why he pushes when he is enjoying himself. I have 2 more weeks until I have my quarter off, so after that I can reevaluate. For now, I am stuck because of work. He was having same problems with the last CDC room, and i blamed the grouchy teacher, but apparently it is my son.

THe camp director is the one who suggested he has a disability, based upon the pushing. I have trouble even looking him in the eye at this point for fear that my daggers are going to come out!

Whats curious is that he had absolutely no issues last week, None whatsoever. When I picked him up today, he fell asleep in the car and when he woke up ate like a horse. I still go with the hunger/tired theory, and this camp is nonstop physical activity. The counselor now gives him his snack mid-morning, but today I put 2 mini choc. chip cookies in his snack, and I wonder if that is what set him off.

I have serious concerns about kindergarten. I think hes going to see the inside of the principals office on the first day at this rate.

Pink

June 27th, 2012, 3:27 am #9

Ugh, so sorry to hear this. I am doing a lot of research on diet and behavior issues, it overwhelming let me tell you but a very real issue. Additives, preservatives, food coloring all are linked to issues. Now I am reading about salicylates, this one worries me because it it in a lot of healthy natural foods like tomatoes, grapes, red apples.... My oldest son was out of control last week while on vacation, hitting his siblings. Once I started reading I realized we bought gatorades for the beach and popsicles for them to eat, plus the snack foods all had bad ingredients and I think it might be related. Think about what DS is eating, the fact that he was calm for over a week, is there anything you ran out of that he eats that he just started eating again?
Today, I had put 2 mini choc. chip cookies for his snack, and the trouble began right before lunch. Last week, no sweets in snack or lunch except organic choc. milk and he had absolutely no issues. He is a very healthy eater, but wanted a couple of cookies today so I obliged since he has beeen so, so good. Maybe there really is a dietary issue?

I am going to research that diet you mentioned when I am not so buried with work next week. Is there a list of foods? Or a book? I am DESPERATE, as it sounds like you are too.

I had read that even pesticides on fruits and vegetables can cause ADHD symptoms. My son for breakfast this morning ate a dozen cherry tomatoes, an apple, and 1 drinkable yogurt. That was what he requested. If I put down anything else, he just turns his nose up at it. I guess I am going to have to take the hard line again and fix him eggs and say eat them or you dont go.....

Feel free to share whatever info you gain about this diet, Gail. Maybe we can try it together?

Pink

June 27th, 2012, 5:24 am #10

I believe you are a therapist, so it means alot coming from you. I just worry about what kindergarten will hold for him if we cant figure out how to stop the pushing. He really is a very sweet boy, but once in a while just pushes.

Pink
I wouldn't worry too much about kindergarten -- first of all, most kids do a tremendous amount of growing just prior to starting kindergarten anyway, and kindergarten teachers are usually much better trained than summer camp counselors, so a little pushing probably won't throw them for a loop. Will he have consequences if he pushes the other kids in k? Sure. But he'll figure out that his teacher means business (unlike us softy parents