OT: Has anyone here been diagnosed with LPR?

OT: Has anyone here been diagnosed with LPR?

July 21st, 2012, 10:18 pm #1

LPR = laryngopharyngeal reflux

Thanks,

Ariadne (who is not a happy camper right now)

July 22nd, 2012, 11:49 am #2

There is a lot of reflux and GERD on both sides of our family, but I had never heard of this one. I bet my dh's aunt has, b/c she used to work for a gastroenterologist and she has been scoped, herself, and strongly recommends that dh and I get scoped. She says the treatment that prevents cancer is easy, but I'm not sure if it's the same one described on webmd. (Fundoplication)

DH tends to get GERD when he's very busy and doesn't eat properly, and since he can control that and make the symptoms go away, he doesn't take it very seriously. When I get GERD, it's extremely painful and lasts for months, and I tend to lose a lot of weight, b/c everything I eat hurts. I haven't had it since 1998 so I'm about 20 lbs heavier than before my last episode!

What does your dr say?

Keiki's Makuahine (Keiki's Mom) 51, dh 52
Keiki: b. 2002 after 3 months bedrest
Natural conception following ZIFT/chem. pg

Olivia: b. 1999 d. 1999
28-week preemie, ptl cause unknown
Natural conception after 1 mc

ttc since 1998

July 22nd, 2012, 2:49 pm #3

Me. I'm at the beginning stage of the diagnosis, so the doctor hasn't said much yet, but he did encourage me to google it. At this point, I'm on 2 medications plus an inhaler & I've had to radically (for me) alter my diet. I see the doctor again in a week.

My voice is a wreck, I'm constantly coughing & hacking, & I have inflammation/a lesion in my throat that requires a surgical biopsy soon. (Different doctor for that issue & they don't believe it is presenting as malignant, but it's a lesion nonetheless.) I don't want to put much more specific info on the web b/c people IRL know some of this, although much of it is very recent, but the probable dx. is the result of months-long issues.

I am concerned b/c the biopsy doctor doesn't like to see patients on these meds for more than a few months due to long term side effects, yet LPR, from everything I've read, does not resolve quickly with meds, if it does at all. I've also been reading about even greater diet restrictions that I was given, so I'm significantly bummed.

Several friends have encouraged me with their stories of getting "back to normal" re most things, but after poking around more, I realize GERD & LPR are very different in a few key ways. So I'm really bummed this weekend. Needless to say, I will have a lot more questions for the doctor than I did at the time. He also put me on an inhaler b/c I did horribly on the breathing test, repeatedly, & he dx. probable asthma, which I have no history of, so I'm concerned about lung damage, although all the symptoms I have are at the base of the throat.

On the bright side, I will be losing weight for sure (no alcohol at all & I was a wine drinker). @$%*.

Last edited by ariadne2 on July 22nd, 2012, 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 23rd, 2012, 12:51 am #4

such a bummer.

I had to change my diet when I got IBS. I'm not as restricted now, but I naturally don't care for a lot of junk. I gave up alcohol years ago. Found that my IBS does better when I don't drink. I really don't miss it that much.

I'm sorry. I hope lifestyle changes will be the worst you have to experience!

ttc since 1998

July 23rd, 2012, 2:25 am #5

Me. I'm at the beginning stage of the diagnosis, so the doctor hasn't said much yet, but he did encourage me to google it. At this point, I'm on 2 medications plus an inhaler & I've had to radically (for me) alter my diet. I see the doctor again in a week.

My voice is a wreck, I'm constantly coughing & hacking, & I have inflammation/a lesion in my throat that requires a surgical biopsy soon. (Different doctor for that issue & they don't believe it is presenting as malignant, but it's a lesion nonetheless.) I don't want to put much more specific info on the web b/c people IRL know some of this, although much of it is very recent, but the probable dx. is the result of months-long issues.

I am concerned b/c the biopsy doctor doesn't like to see patients on these meds for more than a few months due to long term side effects, yet LPR, from everything I've read, does not resolve quickly with meds, if it does at all. I've also been reading about even greater diet restrictions that I was given, so I'm significantly bummed.

Several friends have encouraged me with their stories of getting "back to normal" re most things, but after poking around more, I realize GERD & LPR are very different in a few key ways. So I'm really bummed this weekend. Needless to say, I will have a lot more questions for the doctor than I did at the time. He also put me on an inhaler b/c I did horribly on the breathing test, repeatedly, & he dx. probable asthma, which I have no history of, so I'm concerned about lung damage, although all the symptoms I have are at the base of the throat.

On the bright side, I will be losing weight for sure (no alcohol at all & I was a wine drinker). @$%*.

I have not heard of it. My DH has a stomach hernia and so he gets GERD. Since he got on the daily acid blocker med (its a prescription version of something like prilosec), he eats whatever he wants. Hes not much for alcohol, so he didnt have to give that up, but I do recall before he got on the acid med he had alot of trouble with many foods.

I hope that the diagnosis will lead to you feeling better, and that any lung issues will clear up now that youre being treated, with no long term effects.

Do they think you have had this for a long, long time, or did the symptoms just crop up?

Take care,

pink

July 23rd, 2012, 2:18 pm #6

such a bummer.

I had to change my diet when I got IBS. I'm not as restricted now, but I naturally don't care for a lot of junk. I gave up alcohol years ago. Found that my IBS does better when I don't drink. I really don't miss it that much.

I'm sorry. I hope lifestyle changes will be the worst you have to experience!

ttc since 1998
wait until my follow-up to form too many opinions, but I can't help it since most sites state it takes a long time to control, hard to control, lifelong avoidance of many foods, etc.

Dh & I are foodies in the sense he does a lot of cooking & we love different cuisines. We're also trying to teach the boys to eat seasonally, we have a vegetable garden with tomatoes a plenty, etc. So for me personally, this is huge blow to how our lives are structured & what we love. Thinking "never again" is really demoralizing. I know many people IRL who like limited foods, hate tomatoes, abhor anything spicy, etc., but I'm not one of them. Sigh.

Anyway, I will have many more questions, including why, after a week, the symptoms aren't improved at all. Maybe that's normal, but I'll have to find out.

July 23rd, 2012, 2:23 pm #7

I have not heard of it. My DH has a stomach hernia and so he gets GERD. Since he got on the daily acid blocker med (its a prescription version of something like prilosec), he eats whatever he wants. Hes not much for alcohol, so he didnt have to give that up, but I do recall before he got on the acid med he had alot of trouble with many foods.

I hope that the diagnosis will lead to you feeling better, and that any lung issues will clear up now that youre being treated, with no long term effects.

Do they think you have had this for a long, long time, or did the symptoms just crop up?

Take care,

pink
I don't know. The hoarseness in my voice started in Feb., but it was slight then & not all the time. The real trouble started in May & June.

I've had periods of a hoarse voice in previous years, always around Feb., which is when the blossoms emerge here & it can be windy. I attributed it to allergies & it always went away in a few weeks. I tested negative for allergies, though, so who knows. Or the LPR could be unrelated to the Feb. stuff completely & that was blossom related.

Such a bummer, but I'm obviously concerned & will do whatever I need to do, as I have many years ahead of me & 2 little boys to raise. I hope I can get back to a place where the occasional treat is just fine.