OT - Fertility, menopause and more

OT - Fertility, menopause and more

June 6th, 2012, 3:58 am #1

Hi all: It's EE from long ago. I used to visit these boards daily and thrived on the support I received here, but am now only a sporadic visitor. So, I understand if regulars don't have time to reply but want you all to know how much I value knowing this board is always here!

After sharing so much of my TTC, pregnancy, deliveries and early parenting experiences with this board, I guess it's no surprise that I am turning here again with the latest life journey. After having kids at 41 and 44, I am 49 and entering menopause. What a strange juxtaposition! Just a few years ago, I was struggling to conceive and then--so lucky!--I was pregnant and battling morning sickness.

Until this month, I was very regular but definitely noticing signs of perimenopause (spotting before periods, insomnia the week before flow, etc). This month, for the first time since pregnancy, I am 1 week+ late and have hot flashes in a big way. They only come at night, but oh my! I literally heat like a furnace, become covered in sweat for 3-5 minutes, then acute chills.

Sorry if TMI but I find the whole thing fascinating, powerful and a little sad. Much like during pregnancy, I am awed at what my body does utterly without my control. I am uncomfortable often, but curious to see what comes next. I am eager to see if I can do this naturally, without HRT, but quick to realize I may need help.

Half of me is relieved and ready to be DONE with birth control and the monthly irritation of menstruating. The other half is oddly sad at this significant life passage, mournful for the loss of youth and--this will sound so strange--mournful for the loss of that monthly rhythm that has been my companion since I was 12 years old.

Not sure what I want to say other than that the mix of emotions has me in a reflective mood. If anyone has thoughts, experiences or wisdom to share, please do. Thanks, as always, for the support,honestly and wisdom.

June 6th, 2012, 10:09 am #2

Hi,
I'm in my 49th year and in pre/m too.
Since few months ago, when I found these women support boards, I visit here regularly (except for times when I need to collect myself)
The loss of this life rhythm has affected me too.
It rose my awareness to my fear from loosing my youth and energy.
The way I fight this, is by inventing new exciting business projects and a new relationship to keep myself occupied avoid anxiousness.
For the last year I had 3 menstorations - the last was 2 months ago.
I also put on weight for my craving for carbs.
But - I keep my spirit up in all ways possible!

Joy and celebrations,

Adee
Adee

June 6th, 2012, 12:11 pm #3

Hi all: It's EE from long ago. I used to visit these boards daily and thrived on the support I received here, but am now only a sporadic visitor. So, I understand if regulars don't have time to reply but want you all to know how much I value knowing this board is always here!

After sharing so much of my TTC, pregnancy, deliveries and early parenting experiences with this board, I guess it's no surprise that I am turning here again with the latest life journey. After having kids at 41 and 44, I am 49 and entering menopause. What a strange juxtaposition! Just a few years ago, I was struggling to conceive and then--so lucky!--I was pregnant and battling morning sickness.

Until this month, I was very regular but definitely noticing signs of perimenopause (spotting before periods, insomnia the week before flow, etc). This month, for the first time since pregnancy, I am 1 week+ late and have hot flashes in a big way. They only come at night, but oh my! I literally heat like a furnace, become covered in sweat for 3-5 minutes, then acute chills.

Sorry if TMI but I find the whole thing fascinating, powerful and a little sad. Much like during pregnancy, I am awed at what my body does utterly without my control. I am uncomfortable often, but curious to see what comes next. I am eager to see if I can do this naturally, without HRT, but quick to realize I may need help.

Half of me is relieved and ready to be DONE with birth control and the monthly irritation of menstruating. The other half is oddly sad at this significant life passage, mournful for the loss of youth and--this will sound so strange--mournful for the loss of that monthly rhythm that has been my companion since I was 12 years old.

Not sure what I want to say other than that the mix of emotions has me in a reflective mood. If anyone has thoughts, experiences or wisdom to share, please do. Thanks, as always, for the support,honestly and wisdom.
I began that same journey for real about 4 years ago. Have you read Christiane Northrup's The Wisdom of Menopause? You might enjoy it. There's a lot of mid-life philosophizing about all kinds of things. I confess I didn't finish it, but it's a good book to pick up and read sporadically.

GL to you on this journey. FYI, I used to take 2 large, frozen gel packs to bed with me to get through those hot flashes, but it drove dh out of bed. Finally when I was getting ready to spend a week in a professional workshop out of town, I caved in and began hrt, and it worked really well.

Keiki's Makuahine (Keiki's Mom) 51, dh 52
Keiki: b. 2002 after 3 months bedrest
Natural conception following ZIFT/chem. pg

Olivia: b. 1999 d. 1999
28-week preemie, ptl cause unknown
Natural conception after 1 mc

ttc since 1998

June 6th, 2012, 5:06 pm #4

I certainly have mixed feelings about Great-Aunt ...(quick, synonym for dried up, not there anymore, mia)

I had hot flashes and not sure if I just rode that wave and they are gone (oh please please please) but I did start on Evening Primrose oil and I have a friend who makes me fresh soya milk (not on a regular basis but often-ish. I need to get my OWN maker, her soya milk is tastier than the stuff I've found at the grocery store--she only uses soya beans and sometimes mixes beans together but it's so fresh)

For a while when the hot flashes were at their peak, I turned to some herbal hrt (made by swiss something or other, I'll look it up later and tell you)

My memory is worse but I think it's the bone-tiredness that is the cause. My short attention span seems more delicate too.

Funny about the hot flashes, mine can be fairly mild so when one comes on, I look around and if nobody else has noticed the heat, then I figure it's a hot flash and it's gone in 2-3 minutes. lol
Bit I have been boiling, like a volcano and sweaty. Thankfully they really are only flashes and not hourlies. COuld be worse!

jm

me:43, DH 44
FSH 26
DS: born by c-sec Apr15'03, 9lbs5oz 41wks gest. (after 4 years of ttc, starting in 1998)
DD born by c-sec Oct 13 2007, 8lbs13oz 39wk gest. (after just under 3 years of ttc)
~~DS was conceived naturally the cycle following a cancelled DE IVF, using my good friend's eggs. She was on the verge of hyperstimming.
~~DD's nat conception I attribute to using OPKs like a crazy nut, eating grapefruit daily and using preseed. also 5 cycles of TCM ending 2 cycles before that lucky cycle.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

June 7th, 2012, 2:05 pm #5

I'm in the same boat and having the same thoughts. How ironic to want to miss af so much a few years back and now to want to keep it going. It's such a wild ride to have children and meno both in your 40's. It's sort of hard to place all the emotions in the right place. Also, I continue to have urges for another child and it is sort of ridiculous. The only good part of meno is to have this urge go away once and for all!

I have been taking vitex and some progesterone (natural) a bit here and there to stay regular. I've had wildly irregular af cycles this past year and I don't want to deal with it. Luckily, no hot flashes/sweats I don't think. I had those in a bad way in my mid 30's during my first menopause LOL!!!!... the one that was really thyroid disease undx.

Anyway, soooooooo glad to see an old timer here, especially a fellow fsh'er that had kids at 41 & 44 like me (sort of--41, 43, 45 for me)

Stick around, we miss you!

June 8th, 2012, 2:42 am #6

Hi EE, I remember you, good to see you! My sister was just telling me how since she added flax seed to her diet, her hot flashes are gone. She adds it into her smoothies, she says now only a few times a week is enough. I am definitely perimenopausal and get hot flashes after my period now, the change is gradual so far. It is a journey, that is for sure!

June 8th, 2012, 4:40 am #7

I appreciate the warm words, the alway-sage advice and just the genuine care of all of you on this board. I hope to be more present going forward. Meanwhile, thanks for listening!