Kindergarten mystery reader

Kindergarten mystery reader

wcl

April 24th, 2012, 5:27 pm #1

I have been asked to be the mystery reader Friday at my GS's kindergarten. Gadzooks. I haven't read to a large group of kids in a long time! Have any of you?

Which book is your favorite for this age? It must be large enough so everyone can see the pictures well, must have enough action and plot to keep them engrossed, and must have enough humor to make five-year-olds giggle. Most of all, it's got to make me a success in my GS's eyes! I'd ask him, since he loves books so much and has lots of favorites. But I'm supposed to be a mystery, and it's a secret that I'm coming.

I would read one of the books I wrote myself (The Rooster Who Lost His Crow), but my DD already read that one to them when she was the mystery reader a couple of months ago. (Darn!) Our librarian suggested Candace Flemming's Muncha! Muncha! Muncha! Are you familiar with that one?

wcl
Last edited by wcl on April 24th, 2012, 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 24th, 2012, 5:46 pm #2

Anything by Dr Seuss always a silly fun plot "Cat in the Hat" or "Great Day for Up" would be good and also perhaps familiar.

My DS is in K now, his absolute favourite author of the moment is Bill Peet. Stories would appeal to girls and boys, books are large enough to have visible pictures but also enough text to keep them engaged. Favourites would be - "Wump World" or "Wingdingdilly" or "Huge Harold"

You could really get them laughing with Bill Peet and ask lots of questions too that would get their immagination going ... Also, being older books you would be sure to find them in the library.

Good luck, how lovely of you
V
Last edited by FishDr on April 24th, 2012, 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 24th, 2012, 5:55 pm #3

I have been asked to be the mystery reader Friday at my GS's kindergarten. Gadzooks. I haven't read to a large group of kids in a long time! Have any of you?

Which book is your favorite for this age? It must be large enough so everyone can see the pictures well, must have enough action and plot to keep them engrossed, and must have enough humor to make five-year-olds giggle. Most of all, it's got to make me a success in my GS's eyes! I'd ask him, since he loves books so much and has lots of favorites. But I'm supposed to be a mystery, and it's a secret that I'm coming.

I would read one of the books I wrote myself (The Rooster Who Lost His Crow), but my DD already read that one to them when she was the mystery reader a couple of months ago. (Darn!) Our librarian suggested Candace Flemming's Muncha! Muncha! Muncha! Are you familiar with that one?

wcl
don't they have books in class?
Even if it's a book they've heard every day, if it's a favourite, it doesn't matter.

good luck and have fun with it!!
jm
ps you are a writer! How cool is that!!?? The book looks good (of course)--I googled it. I have it wish listed on amazon for my next order.

me:43, DH 44
FSH 26
DS: born by c-sec Apr15'03, 9lbs5oz 41wks gest. (after 4 years of ttc, starting in 1998)
DD born by c-sec Oct 13 2007, 8lbs13oz 39wk gest. (after just under 3 years of ttc)
~~DS was conceived naturally the cycle following a cancelled DE IVF, using my good friend's eggs. She was on the verge of hyperstimming.
~~DD's nat conception I attribute to using OPKs like a crazy nut, eating grapefruit daily and using preseed. also 5 cycles of TCM ending 2 cycles before that lucky cycle.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

April 24th, 2012, 6:14 pm #4

wcl
Our daughter is only 3.5 but here are a couple of books that would work for the K set, I think. You can check them out online.

Amos McGhee's Sick Day
Me...Jane

Both Caldecott Award winning books so visually they are gorgeous. Any Caldecott winners are beautiful.

And I sure like the Dr. Seuss ideas too - fun and giggly.

Good luck. You'll rock it!
Last edited by PhoebeMass on April 24th, 2012, 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cy2

April 24th, 2012, 7:37 pm #5

wcl
HL's "Hooway for Wodney Wat" or "Me First" are silly and fun, but also teach a nice lesson. Rodney cannot pronounce R's but becomes the class hero when they are being bullied/bossed around by an abrasive newcomer.

In Me First the main character thinks he is answering to "Who would care for a sandwich?" Instead, he ends up taking care of a sand witch.

A Porcupine Named Fluffy has a cute message about not liking your name.

Keiko Kazaa has a number of great books. The funniest are My Lucky Day (a little pig knocks on a predator's door and then convinces the predator to feed, bathe, and massage him to prepare the pig for eating. The predator ends up exhausted and the pig moves on to the next predator on his list. The Wolf's Chicken Stew introduces a wolf who leaves fattening goodies on the doorstep of a chicken's house. The mom catches him one day and they all herald him as a wonderful "do-gooder". Of course, in the end, the wolf can't eat the chicks who think of him like Santa Claus. There's a funny one about Grandpa Toad and also an opposum who needs to play dead.

Now DS is into Harry Potter, Charlie Bone, Fablehaven and Narnia. I miss those preschool/kindergarten days when the books were so short and sweet. . .

April 24th, 2012, 8:12 pm #6

wcl
after taking a course on this last year. Beautiful books, sweet stories.

What Can You Do with a Paleta? by Carmen Tafolla
What Can You Do with a Rebozo? by Carmen Tafolla

Chato's Kitchen, by Gary Soto
Chato and the Party Animals, by Gary Soto

Just a Minute, by Yuyi Morales
Just in Time, by Yuyi Morales

Martina, the Beautiful Cockroach, by Carmen Agra-Deedy

These are not Latino, but they're hugely popular:

Knuffle Bunny, by Mo Willems
Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus, also Mo Willems

Keiki's Makuahine (Keiki's Mom) 51, dh 52
Keiki: b. 2002 after 3 months bedrest
Natural conception following ZIFT/chem. pg

Olivia: b. 1999 d. 1999
28-week preemie, ptl cause unknown
Natural conception after 1 mc

ttc since 1998
Last edited by goldiescholar on April 24th, 2012, 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 24th, 2012, 9:17 pm #7

http://www.jsworldwide.com/

I'm not sure which you would want for this class. Maybe the Stinky Cheese Man? Read Science Verses for yourself some time! The True Story of the Three Little Pigs is a good one.

Oh, I also love David Wiesner's The Three Pigs, and he has a gorgeous wordless book called Sector 7.

Black and White, David Macaulay

And the Dish Ran Away With the Spoohttp://amzn.to/AjQAvn

Yo! Yes? by Chris Raschkhttp://amzn.to/Ightcy

I've also heard good things about Arlene Sardine, by the same author. All of these authors have terrific books, and you'll have a great time if you go to the children's room at your library and ask the librarians to bring them to you.

The Spider and the Fly Mary Howitt, Tony DiTerlizzi

Keiki's Makuahine (Keiki's Mom) 51, dh 52
Keiki: b. 2002 after 3 months bedrest
Natural conception following ZIFT/chem. pg

Olivia: b. 1999 d. 1999
28-week preemie, ptl cause unknown
Natural conception after 1 mc

ttc since 1998
Last edited by goldiescholar on April 24th, 2012, 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 24th, 2012, 10:47 pm #8

wcl
Your GS is going to be so excited to see you walking in to read!!

My 5 y/o loves all Dr. Seuss books (and they are certainly large for the whole class to enjoy) But maybe the kids have heard all the Dr. Seuss already?

Another favorite that makes us all laugh, though not as large a book in dimension is Mr. Putter and Tabby Paint the Porch. The book has simple enough illustrations that seeing it from across the room would be totally fine. Mr Putter and Tabby is a series by Cynthia Rylant, one of my sons favorite authors (She also writes the Henry and Mudge series which are also fantastic and the Poppleton series which are equally great) Your library should have Mr. Putter and Tabby.

Other fun ones that are available large are Sammy the Seal and Danny the Dinosaur. My sons love both.

Have a great time! I am going to read on Thursday to my sons class, but havent decided what yet. It is supposed to be about Hawaii or Rainforests, so I dont have any ideas yet. Maybe I should post for suggestions!!

Pink

April 25th, 2012, 12:16 am #9

wcl
Oh how fun!!! I loved having a mystery reader when I was teaching!!! THe kids always feel so special.
We are only 4 over here but some of our favorite books right now are the

Llama Llama series by Anna Dewdney
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/llama-l ... 0670062409

How do Dinosaurs Say I Love You or How do Dinosaurs Say Goodnight by Jan Yolen and Mark Teague

We never got into it here by my mom teaches 1st grade and one of the favorites in her grade from the kids is Knuffle Bunny by Mo Willems...

My computer is acting up or I would have put a link to the other books too!

All of the ideas listed sound wonderful-I am excited to check them out myself! Hope you come up with one that you all really enjoy. Can't wait to hear all about his reaction and the experience!

April 25th, 2012, 7:02 am #10

wcl
You will be a hero just going ! I did Dog Breath bu Dav Pilkey. It was a huge hit. Good luck.

Expected planned delivery on 11/13/2008 -3 weeks early.
42-recent FSH 12.4 at private md.
Natural Cycle w/ proges. support BFP 02/08 at 42.4
Natural cycle-BFN
M/C Sept.07-natural p/g waiting for IVF Ins. says fertile must wait 6months to reapply for IVF!
June 07-IUI low stim good responder-BFN
May 07-IUI low stim-BFN
April 07- FSH -11.3 & 11.5 E2-44
March 07- all fertility testing no issues. Husband has no issues.
10/06-Delivered stillborn DS at 40weeks a day after my 41st birthday. Cord Accident. Natural conception at 40.
01/2006 -natural conception at 40
10/2005 -M/c at 7weeks
09/2005 - natural conception
08/2005 - start trying for #2
12-2004 - c/s delivery of ds at 39.2
04/2004 - natural conception at 38