heads-up on (good) mortgage rates

heads-up on (good) mortgage rates

February 17th, 2012, 4:29 am #1

Hi, all,

In case anyone (else) out there is thinking of a refi, Pentagon Federal Credit Union has 30-year fixed rates of 3.75 with 0 points right now. You have to join -- oh, I can't think of the name, but some organization that serves military families -- if you want to join PenFed and aren't military, but it's a good cause, one-time fee, and only around $15 or $20. They have other attractive rates also but I've been eyeing the 30-year. There are lower rates for that time period, too, if you want to pay points.

The PenFed website ishttp://www.penfed.org . We've had our mortgage with them for about 3 (?) years and while honestly they aren't the absolutely most on-top-of-it group I've ever worked with (they've sometimes been slow in adjusting escrow up or down, for example), I have no significant complaints about their services.

Best wishes,
Alex

February 17th, 2012, 5:05 am #2

sounds great! looking into this now.

February 17th, 2012, 4:32 pm #3

Hi, all,

In case anyone (else) out there is thinking of a refi, Pentagon Federal Credit Union has 30-year fixed rates of 3.75 with 0 points right now. You have to join -- oh, I can't think of the name, but some organization that serves military families -- if you want to join PenFed and aren't military, but it's a good cause, one-time fee, and only around $15 or $20. They have other attractive rates also but I've been eyeing the 30-year. There are lower rates for that time period, too, if you want to pay points.

The PenFed website ishttp://www.penfed.org . We've had our mortgage with them for about 3 (?) years and while honestly they aren't the absolutely most on-top-of-it group I've ever worked with (they've sometimes been slow in adjusting escrow up or down, for example), I have no significant complaints about their services.

Best wishes,
Alex
I appreciate you posting this as I have been considering re-fi for my condo that I rent out.  I went onto their website and saw that they offer re-fi for investment properties (not the easiest thing to secure!).  I called but unfortunately, they don't allow condos for their investment property mortgage programs. 

February 17th, 2012, 5:36 pm #4

Mrs. A.,

Oh darn, sorry that doesn't meet your needs! I do know primary residences are much easier than pretty much anything else -- I've been wanting to bug my brother to refi a townhome he now rents out but am not sure he can because of what you mention.

Best wishes,
Alex

February 17th, 2012, 11:45 pm #5

Hi, all,

Best wishes,
Alex
Thanks for the tips! Let me know if you think of the organization that you joined. Seems interesting. Though we are hoping to move in a few years a refi isn't a bad idea!

February 18th, 2012, 3:49 am #6

Rebekah,

I dug it out -- the info. is here: https://www.penfed.org/howToJoin/overview.asp . The one we used was #8, but there are some other good options that would appeal to many, including giving blood to the Red Cross.

Penfed charges 1% of the total borrowed (not points, but a fee for originating the mortgage?), so depending on how long you'll be in the home this may or may not make sense.

Best wishes,
Alex

February 20th, 2012, 9:55 pm #7

Thank you nt