Gail, a question about sunscreen and skin products with retinyl

Gail, a question about sunscreen and skin products with retinyl

June 27th, 2012, 4:40 pm #1

Quadmom and I have been reading about how products containing retinyl-A might actually accelerate skin cancer, and that we should discontinue using sunscreens that contain this and oxybenzone. But what about the retin-A that I mix with my moisturizer at night for acne and general freshening up? Is this also making me more susceptible? Should I quit using it in summer or only use it when I won't be in the sun? (Which is pretty much never, since I'm not a mushroom!)

TIA!

Keiki's Makuahine (Keiki's Mom) 51, dh 52
Keiki: b. 2002 after 3 months bedrest
Natural conception following ZIFT/chem. pg

Olivia: b. 1999 d. 1999
28-week preemie, ptl cause unknown
Natural conception after 1 mc

ttc since 1998

June 29th, 2012, 12:02 am #2

Hi KM, I see what you are saying but here is the dirt. Retinol products have been found to decrease skin cancers, decrease precancerous lesions, plump up collagen and help with overall skin tone, as well as help fade scars, brown spots, and acne. But they do make the skin more sun sensitive. I have had dark skinned patients get brown spots because they weren't compliant with sunscreen. So the key is to be very diligent with a good sunscreen with minimal spf 30 and I prefer one with zinc oxide over the chemical sunscreens. The latest research does recommend avoiding oxybenzone, which many products do still have. It is listed, so read the labels thoroughly. If you can find blue lizard, that one has a chemical free and a face sunscreen, I know the chemical free should be free of oxybenzone. So deciding on stopping your retinol product for the summer is up to you, if you do get color over the summer and/or aren't 100% compliant with daily sunscreen use and reapplication when necessary and sun avoidance then you can stop it. I use it all summer because I wear sunscreen and I have a big rimmed sun hat that I may look like a dork in but don't care. My face doesn't get any sun. The fact that you are using any over the counter retinol and also mixing it with a moisturizer has me thinking that the strength really isn't that high. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.

June 29th, 2012, 12:15 am #3

My dermatologist prescribed it and recommended that I mix it with Cerave. I do use sunscreen (Anthelios).

Thanks.

ttc since 1998

June 29th, 2012, 1:05 am #4

which prescription topical are you using and strength?

June 29th, 2012, 12:14 pm #5

I don't use it before beach days, but I'll occasionally mix a tiny dab (1/2 of a pea) with CeraVe and smear over my face. When I have bumps forming or resolving, I might use a tiny amount undiluted on that spot.

My concern is, even for everyday use, does this actually make me more susceptible to skin cancer? That's what they're saying about retinyl in sunscreens, that it might be almost like a tumor or cancer accelerator.

ttc since 1998

July 2nd, 2012, 2:18 am #6

Tazorac is the one I prescribe the most often. Using it doesn't make you more susceptible to skin cancer, it helps prevent skin cancers by removing skin cells and causing rejuvenation of new skin cells. It does make you more sun sensitive though.

July 10th, 2012, 1:58 am #7

I can't believe I didn't see your post for a week! Thanks for the info. This is why I use it, too.

ttc since 1998