be sure to check for lead in slow cookers

be sure to check for lead in slow cookers

October 12th, 2011, 2:45 pm #1

I saw an article a while back that said that many of the major slow cookers had interior pots whose glaze contained enough lead to be a concern. There has been a lot written since that time. Here is a link to a recent article about lead in the cookers:

http://greenlivingqa.com/content/slow-c ... free-glaze

Be sure that yours does not contain lead, especially if it is an old pot. Mine was one that contained lead so now I use it as a hot water bath to heat beeswax for candle dipping....

Malka

ds born 11.20.09 from single embie
highest fsh 75

October 12th, 2011, 3:43 pm #2

Hi Malka,

Sorry to go off-topic (but THANKS, I think I will toss my great-aunt Bess's hand-me-down crock pot that I actually have never used), but I just peeked in at lunch and saw your name. How are you? How is DS (are you homeschooling again this fall?) and the big remodel?!!

Hope all is well!!!

Things here are fine. DH and I both still employed (but STRESSED), kids happy and healthy. DS has a great teacher this year who totally loves and appreciates him (unlike last year who didn't like his "rogue" behavior like correcting her on the mammal unit), so far so good!

miss you!
M

October 13th, 2011, 5:43 am #3

I saw an article a while back that said that many of the major slow cookers had interior pots whose glaze contained enough lead to be a concern. There has been a lot written since that time. Here is a link to a recent article about lead in the cookers:

Be sure that yours does not contain lead, especially if it is an old pot. Mine was one that contained lead so now I use it as a hot water bath to heat beeswax for candle dipping....

Malka

highest fsh 75
I am so jealous. I have time to do nothing but work, make food, clean the kitchen, and pick up after the twins. Hope you're well. Wish you were here (or I was there!).

October 17th, 2011, 3:07 am #4

Malka

highest fsh 75
Thanks for this. I've read through this and hope that my Hamilton Beach is ok. I'm just wondering what else is toxic in my house. The task of finding out sounds daunting but I guess I have to start somewhere.

There were some pretty scarey things mentioned at that link though.

Cheers,
Z.