using herbs as medicine

using herbs as medicine

penny sloman
penny sloman

April 15th, 2012, 12:25 pm #1

Hello all,

Please could you help,

Which is best to use? Powders or tinctures?

I can make a lot of my own tinctures but can get hold of many more powdered herbs and make into capsules which sometimes seem easier than making the tinctures, so i just wondered if powders were as good as tinctures.

Many thanks,

Penny.

April 15th, 2012, 3:43 pm #2

Hi Penny

The answer to your question, like most things to do with herbs is, it depends! If you use tinctures, you get an extraction of a herb of those constituents which are soluble in alcohol and water. It's an easy way to deliver medicines and good when you only have a small amount of herb since a tincture uses less plant material than making a tea.

Herbal powders mean that you have a part or a whole plant and dry it then grind it. It's useful if you want to make capsules or suppositories or a honey pill or an electuary.

If you are making your own herbal powders from herbs you have grown and dried and ground, everything should be fine since you know when you harvested, what the growing conditions were and should have a good idea how long your home grown harvest lasts in good condition. If you are buying herbal powders you don't know any of those things. You don't know how old they are, whether they've been cut with other powders or with something not quite nice.

If you have a family/clientele who are used to taking capsules and won't consider medicines in any other form, you might have a case for concentrating on powders, but I'd suggest to go and see where they are made, ask questions about source, process etc etc to ensure you are getting quality produce.

Personally, I'd hate to restrict myself to either tinctures or powders, there are so many other mediums for ingesting herbs which are so much more fun and educate your palate while doing so. You can't taste a dandelion root powder given in a capsule and there's no point in giving a bitter you can't taste.

Just my thoughts, you will have many more.

Sarah

penny sloman
penny sloman

April 16th, 2012, 3:51 pm #3

Hello all,

Please could you help,

Which is best to use? Powders or tinctures?

I can make a lot of my own tinctures but can get hold of many more powdered herbs and make into capsules which sometimes seem easier than making the tinctures, so i just wondered if powders were as good as tinctures.

Many thanks,

Penny.
Hi Sarah

Thank you for your reply and i am looking forward to some more. I am going to dry more herbs this year for teas/medicines, it all takes up so much space!

Penny.