Seeking a training course/ qualification in herb growing - advice please...

Seeking a training course/ qualification in herb growing - advice please...

January 8th, 2009, 2:02 pm #1

I am looking for pointers from more experienced herbies as to what courses they have found the most useful in developing their horticultural skills. I am a keen gardner with no qualifications in horticulture and have been thinking about doing a horticultural course to complement the certificate in herbal studies I am about to embark on. My aim is to grow herbs mainly for medicinal use and to be a herb supplier. I would be most grateful if you could share your thoughts as to what initial training you have found of most benefit to you during your work with herbs? New year, new career...Thank you

January 9th, 2009, 9:13 am #2

Hi there!

I'm afraid I don't have any personal knowledge of horticultural courses, but there are links to various training courses in the Herb Society's links section which you can access from the main page. I seem to remember people talking about the one run by the National Herb Centre at Banbury which they found helpful.

I have a book by Rosemary Titterton (sorry I don't have the full title with me) which details how to set up a successful herb nursery which is rated as very sensible and useful by those who wish to go down that route.

It might be helpful to contact current nursery growers in your area or those listed in the links section on the HS page and either page a telephone appointment or visit them in person and see what they advise. A lot will depend on whether you intend going down the organic route or not.

Best wishes in all your endeavours

Sarah