sambucus nigra 'black lace'

sambucus nigra 'black lace'

yolanda
yolanda

May 5th, 2011, 7:38 pm #1

I bought last month a sambucus nigra ' black lace' thinking that it was the common elder, the plant is beautiful but I want to know if it has the same medicinal properties like the flowers are used to treat colds and coughs or the leaves used against caterpillars and aphids.please can any one help!!!!!

May 7th, 2011, 4:06 pm #2

Hi Yolanda

From a quick google search, it looks like you have a cultivar rather than the real thing. It's a bit like having the yellow yarrow in your garden instead of white/pink wild yarrow. In yarrow's case, the cultivar is nowhere near as strong as the wild yarrow, but I truly do not have have idea about Black Lace. I suspect it's properties won't be as strong as the wild varieties.

The elder should be coming into blossom shortly, so you can always go wildcrafting.

Best wishes

Sarah

Anthony Lyman-Dixon
Anthony Lyman-Dixon

May 8th, 2011, 8:38 am #3

I bought last month a sambucus nigra ' black lace' thinking that it was the common elder, the plant is beautiful but I want to know if it has the same medicinal properties like the flowers are used to treat colds and coughs or the leaves used against caterpillars and aphids.please can any one help!!!!!
Bugs love it!

yolanda
yolanda

May 9th, 2011, 1:46 pm #4

good bugs or bad bugs!!!

Anthony Lyman-Dixon
Anthony Lyman-Dixon

May 12th, 2011, 8:24 am #5

Utterly horrible bugs. They quickly reduced a tray of small plants to skeletons, but ignored the ordinary wild form