More Fernie

More Fernie

Anthony George Lyman-Dixon

September 23rd, 2008, 8:32 pm #1

If one googles W T Fernie, one comes across William Thomas Fernie who lived at 4 Pembroke Villas, The Green, Richmond and who married The Hon Adèle Graves 8 Jan 1891. Whether he was the “Water cure doctor” of Malvern I have no idea, but as Adèle’s father apparently didn’t marry until 1870 and as her marriage to the “Richmond Fernie” took place in 1891, that would mean that she couldn’t have been older than 21 at the time of her nuptials. As “our” Fernie was born in 1830, either he got very lucky or it was a different Fernie. I thus conclude that someone snitched the name of the real Fernie or, less likely, that there were two doctors of identical name wandering about Victorian England at the same time. Adèles husband died in November 1914. Shame he couldn’t have hung on for another couple of years as a Wm T Fernie appears in the General Medical Register for 1913 As it is, we can’t definitively pin down whether this was “our” Fernie or not. Definitely something worth following up.

If Fernie was real, it seems extraordinary that no obituaries seem to have been published. My own theory is that his interest in the occult made him a bit of a pariah and so he lurked behind an alias. Any one got any better ideas?

Anthony

September 24th, 2008, 9:01 am #2

Hi Anthony,

I have plenty of ideas, but I'm keeping them to myself for now anyway You can read about them, when and if it all pans out. I think I'm on the right track and definetely making progress. I'm off to track down some papers and visit some places for further information next week. Have also begun writing up what I've discovered but my 'facts' need to be checked before I make them public.

Debs

September 24th, 2008, 5:24 pm #3

How exciting; can't wait!
Good luck with your research

Anthony

kevin brown
kevin brown

September 25th, 2008, 8:22 am #4

I am really glad that I asked the question Who was Dr.Fernie?I had no idea about the controversy about his identity.Great stuff.

Kevin

kevin brown
kevin brown

October 25th, 2009, 2:53 am #5

If one googles W T Fernie, one comes across William Thomas Fernie who lived at 4 Pembroke Villas, The Green, Richmond and who married The Hon Adèle Graves 8 Jan 1891. Whether he was the “Water cure doctor” of Malvern I have no idea, but as Adèle’s father apparently didn’t marry until 1870 and as her marriage to the “Richmond Fernie” took place in 1891, that would mean that she couldn’t have been older than 21 at the time of her nuptials. As “our” Fernie was born in 1830, either he got very lucky or it was a different Fernie. I thus conclude that someone snitched the name of the real Fernie or, less likely, that there were two doctors of identical name wandering about Victorian England at the same time. Adèles husband died in November 1914. Shame he couldn’t have hung on for another couple of years as a Wm T Fernie appears in the General Medical Register for 1913 As it is, we can’t definitively pin down whether this was “our” Fernie or not. Definitely something worth following up.

If Fernie was real, it seems extraordinary that no obituaries seem to have been published. My own theory is that his interest in the occult made him a bit of a pariah and so he lurked behind an alias. Any one got any better ideas?

Anthony
Hi Debs,

I know there are lots of more important things going on at present but I was just wondering if you are now ready to tell us just who was Dr.Fernie.

All the best
Kevin

October 27th, 2009, 4:27 pm #6

Anthony
Hi Kevin

Not yet, I've done a lot of research but so far I've only established where he came from, who his parents and grandparents were, his siblings etc. I have in my possession an etching of his father and a story to tell of how I came by it, all will be revealed in the future I promise! Tracing the man himself is a little harder, although I now know where he died and when, like most things its finding the time to make progress inbetween everything else.

Debs

Mike Fernie
Mike Fernie

March 8th, 2016, 11:56 am #7

Anthony
I am a cousin[1st cousin three times removed, I believe - his father and my great, great grandfather were brothers], so know a little bit about Dr.W.T.Fernie, from research I have been doing into the family history. He did indeed die in Richmond on 1st Nov 1914 and was the Water Cure doctor of Malvern. The Hon. Jane Adèle Graves was his second wife who he did indeed marry on 8th Jan 1891, but she was born in 1834-1835 in Paris,and died on 25 March 1917,aged 82.