Leach book of Bald

Leach book of Bald

Gayle Copper
Gayle Copper

March 14th, 2010, 8:00 pm #1

Hello all,
I am currently researching 10th century medicine, it is fascinating and of course involves herbs in a huge way, many of which are still used for the same ailments today.

One book I have been told time and again to read is "The leach book of Bald" or "Balds Leachbook" unfortunately I cannot seem to find this anywhere. If anyone knows where I may find it please help.

Also to recommend any other medieval herbal books I would be most grateful!

March 15th, 2010, 10:08 am #2

Hi Gayle

The easiest thing to do is get hold of a copy of Stephen Pollington's Leechcraft. He has a section on Bald's Leachbook and sets it in context with a whole load of contemporary stuff about herbal medicine in Anglo Saxon times. It was originally brought out in hard back by Anglo Saxon books but was fairly extortionate to buy. They published a paperback version recently, so I would give them a ring and see what's available.

Best wishes

Sarah

April 7th, 2010, 1:02 pm #3

Hello all,
I am currently researching 10th century medicine, it is fascinating and of course involves herbs in a huge way, many of which are still used for the same ailments today.

One book I have been told time and again to read is "The leach book of Bald" or "Balds Leachbook" unfortunately I cannot seem to find this anywhere. If anyone knows where I may find it please help.

Also to recommend any other medieval herbal books I would be most grateful!
I have a copy of Pollington's book which I'd be happy to lend you if you cover the postage costs. Please email me if you are interested at woldfarm@aol.com