herb lawn help

herb lawn help

October 3rd, 2010, 8:18 pm #1

Hello. I'm currently in my final year at university and I am just about to start my Geography dissertation. I am thinking of studying herb lawns and their pros and cons over conventional grass due to the increasing concerns over water shortages and pesticide/herbicide uses etc. However, I am finding it difficult to locate much information on the topic apart from the odd brief paragraph in general herb books, and so was just wondering whether anyone knew of any useful literature out there?

Also, does anyone have knowledge of any other herbs that could be used as a grass substitute, apart from Roman Chamomile and Creeping Thyme?

I'm a bit new to the field of herbs, so please feel free to tell me if this topic is a bit limited, as it's important for me to create a project that is an up-to-date issue, which will also be useful for future work in the area.

Sorry for the rambling post :S ...If anyone has managed to make it to the end I'd appreciate any help that you can offer. Many thanks in advance.

Laura.

October 6th, 2010, 10:16 am #2

Hi Laura

This isn't really an answer to your question about using herbs as replacement for grass, but on the Herbwifery Forum there was a discussion about eating grasses. You might find that interesting and give you some more food for thought. You can find it onhttp://herbwifery.org/forum/viewtopic.p ... ht=grasses

Good luck in your search

Sarah

Claire
Claire

October 12th, 2010, 6:46 pm #3

Hello. I'm currently in my final year at university and I am just about to start my Geography dissertation. I am thinking of studying herb lawns and their pros and cons over conventional grass due to the increasing concerns over water shortages and pesticide/herbicide uses etc. However, I am finding it difficult to locate much information on the topic apart from the odd brief paragraph in general herb books, and so was just wondering whether anyone knew of any useful literature out there?

Also, does anyone have knowledge of any other herbs that could be used as a grass substitute, apart from Roman Chamomile and Creeping Thyme?

I'm a bit new to the field of herbs, so please feel free to tell me if this topic is a bit limited, as it's important for me to create a project that is an up-to-date issue, which will also be useful for future work in the area.

Sorry for the rambling post :S ...If anyone has managed to make it to the end I'd appreciate any help that you can offer. Many thanks in advance.

Laura.
Hi Laura,

what about exploring the medicinal couchgrass? I think I remember something about it being used as a lawn grass because of it's drought resistance...

And, of course, any good lawn should (in my opinion :)have a healthy portion of herbs in it anyway - Plantain, Yarrow, Self-heal etc. Yarrow is a 'nurse' plant i.e. if planted with sickly plants it helps them regain health - useful for a lawn growing in challenging condition perhaps. Daisies of course... Dandelions I love in a lawn but that may just be pushing the gardeners too far! My Dad doesn't mind the Mint invading the edges of his lawn, he loves the smell when he cuts the grass and regular cutting seems to keep it in check - there's certainly still grass where there is supposed to be grass. Could Lemon balm be used in this way? Ooooh what a lovely treat cutting the grass could become!

Not sure if that helps you for your project though - not sure how it relates to Geography...
Unless, of course, you could show that a weedy lawn is more drought resistant than a manicured one - now that would be a coup! Ehm - resources to help you out... thinking probably Plants For A Future could help?http://www.pfaf.org/user/

Good Luck
Claire

October 13th, 2010, 2:35 pm #4

Laura.
Hi Laura

Off the top of my head I can only think of Corsican Mint that would make a likely candidate for a herb lawn, although how much wear and foot traffic it would take I'm not sure. I agree with Claire that lawns should have more herbs in them, that way they have more than an ornamental use. I'd use Chamomile Treneague often referred to as Lawn Chamomile and not Roman Chamomile which would grow to tall methinks. Most of the thymes are creeping e.g. Caraway, Elfin, Woolly and Pink Chintz would all be good candidates.

Don't just think of common herbs, there are a lot of wild flowers that form dense mats of lush vegetation, that would be useful, off the top of my head the daisy is one such wild flower that is a herb, maybe you can make a case for encouraging the growing of low-growing native wild flowers in place of boring lawns.

Please keep posting as I'm interested to see how this project develops and what you decide to do.

Debs

October 14th, 2010, 8:02 am #5

Laura.
Thank you all for your help and ideas, today I'm going to pool all the ideas and hopefully come up with some kind of project plan. No doubt I'll have more questions further down the line, but I shall keep you informed on how things are going.

Ooh Debs I see you're possibly setting up an East Midlands herb group, just wondering where this will be held, how much it takes to join etc.?

Once again thanks to everyone, you've been very helpful

Laura.