Hedgerow To Kitchen

Hedgerow To Kitchen

October 9th, 2008, 10:27 am #1

Sarah Head has added to her '<em>Hedgerow To Kitchen</em>' series of articles yet another wonderful look at a hedgerow herb, this time the Bramble or Blackberry. There are recipes for bramble root vinegar, a blackberry flower essence and a rather tasty blackberry and rosehip syrup. If you have any other bramble recipes you'd like to share, why not post them here?

Debs

Last edited by DebsCook on December 14th, 2008, 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 14th, 2008, 11:50 pm #2

<font face="Arial">Sarah's latest article to her '<em>Hedgerow To Kitchen</em>' series is now online, this time Sarah takes a look at Horseradish. She encourages readers to have a go at making horseradish honey, which she believes will be useful for colds and sinus infections. Sarah also introduces readers to Fire Cider, a remedy originally by the American herbalist Rosemary Gladstar. Sarah supplies <font face="Arial">the recipe for her version of this firey remedy, which is brilliant to help stave off viral infections.

Debs </font></font>

December 15th, 2008, 4:38 pm #3

I have a small confession to make.

When I wrote the horseradish article several months ago, I hadn't made Fire Cider vinegar before. I prepared two batches for the workshops I was planning to hold in December on herbal vinegars. Having now tasted the Fire Cider vinegar, drunk it with horseradish honey and mixed it with sunflower oil to make a "salad dressing" to dunk fresh bread into, I can confirm that it tastes absolutely wonderful! It doesn't taste anything like you would expect from the ingredients and the honey is a perfect accompaniment for a satisfying, not too sweet beverage.

There are now ten jars of vinegar macerating in various cupboards across the Midlands with ten very happy people converted to the efficacy and wonder of herbal vinegars. We all decided that once the vinegars are strained, you could use the remaining vegetables as a base for a soup or stew. Waste not, want not!

To see a write up and some pictures of the workshop, go to http://apotheblogary.blogspot.com/2008/ ... egars.html

If anyone is interesting in having a list of my workshops for next year and doesn't want to wait until the next edition of Herbs, please email me.

Sarah