A Curious Herbal

A Curious Herbal

kevin brown
kevin brown

May 5th, 2008, 2:38 am #1

I have just been reading the weekend edition of the International Herald Tribune and I see that one of the items for auction at Bloomsbury Auctions,London on 15th May is a first edition dated 1738 of A Curious Herbal by Elizabeth Blackwell.Expected price at auction GBP 15000 to 20000.

Take good care of those old Herbals,they are very valuable.

Kevin

May 6th, 2008, 10:14 am #2

Ohhhh I so wish I had that amount of money to play with, £10,000 would suit me at the minute, I could then buy the complete victorian apothercary shop that Jenny found and donate it to the Herb Society, alas I don't have that sort of money, but I can dream. It's amazing how valuable these old herbals are now, such a shame that more of them didn't survive. Thanks for the heads up Kevin, be interesting to know what it goes for.

Debs

kevin brown
kevin brown

May 7th, 2008, 5:58 am #3

Debs,

Do tell us more about about Jenny's discovery.

I have been reading a number of items recently about The Oldest Chemist's Shop locted in Knaresborough,Yorkshire and now on my list of places to visit.It seems to have a lot of old artifacts including an old dog operated pestle and mortar.

Kevin

Peter Leyel
Peter Leyel

August 17th, 2008, 8:15 pm #4

This herbal, printed in London in 1737- 1739, has beautiful coloured drawings as illustrations.
I have just discovered that one can sit at home with a PC and turn some of the pages of this herbal on the British Library website. Try:
http://portico.bl.uk/collections/treasu ... adband.htm

August 20th, 2008, 12:37 pm #5

Hi Peter

Thanks for posting this link, its good to be able to see the book even if you can't physically turn the pages. The downside of the link above is if you don't have broadband it can take forever for the pages to load. Not to worry the have a link for narrowband/dail-up users as well

Debs