Remember F. B. Penegar of Charlotte, NC?

Remember F. B. Penegar of Charlotte, NC?

Bill Thomas
Bill Thomas

August 23rd, 2001, 11:26 pm #1

I remember a young marine named F.B. Penegar (we called him F.B.) who treated all the little kids in our neighborhood in NW Charlotte just great. For example, he gave us all a ride around the neighborhood in an old T-model Ford and so on. I was about 7 or 8 yrs. old at the time (1941 or 42). And then he was sent to the Pacific & the next we knew he was killed. There was an article in The Charlotte Observer saying Sgt. Penegar was a hero & had saved a lot of his buddies by single-handedly wiping out machine guns, etc. I think it was on Guadalcanal or Tarawa. But I would love to get the story again. He was a fine fellow! He was not related or anything like that -- just a superb person.

Jamie Milner
Jamie Milner

September 29th, 2003, 7:34 am #2

UNBELIEVABLE..... I am in shock.... I found this website and have been looking to find someone from his company that served with him... I have been doing research for the last 3 years....

Just to know that you knew him means so much to me.. My mother who was 2 years old when he was KIA will be thrilled to hear from someone who knew him..even if you were a young child then..

I would love to hear anything you know about him. Do you still live in NC? My Grandfather has some family still in Charlotte.

I have the article you spoke about from the Charlotte Observer. If you are still interested and this email gets to you I will reply...

Hope this finds you in good health.

Sincerly,
Jamie