CAMP MCGILL D.U.K.W.S ("DUCKS)

ROGER GIBSON
ROGER GIBSON

June 4th, 2002, 1:03 am #11

It was Charlie Co. 3rd Amttacs 3rd Div. The base was Camp Mc Gill also known as Takeyama. I cannot recall the unit designation for the Tanks.
I WENT THROUGH SOME OF MY OLD STUFF AND YOU ARE CORRECT IT WAS THE 3RD AMTRAC BATT. THAT THE D.U.K.W UNIT WAS ATTACHED TO. IT WAS ALSO THE 3RD TANK BATT 3RD MAR DIV. AT MCGILL AT THAT TIME. THE TANK GUYS HAD THE BEST MESSHALL AND WE WOULD SNEAK IN ONCE IN A WHILE.

REGARDS

ROGER GIBSON
ROGER GIBSON

June 15th, 2002, 12:40 am #12

Roger:

I was with Charlie Company 1st Am Tracs
at McGill in 1955 and 1956. I arrived
in Yokohama aboard the General Walker
on October 3, 1955. Went on several
exercises at Nagaya (spelling) Beach,
two trips to Iwo Jima and one to Okinawa.
The first trip to Iwo was on the anniversary
of the real assault in 1945. It was a moving
experience. One of the Marines on the trip
was in the initial invasion and re-enlisted
on Mt. Surabachi while we were there.
Have fond memories of McGill, Yokosuka, The
Black Cat, the Neptune, Souvineer Alley,
the E. M. Club and the Zebra club at
Yokohama. Also the Ise hotel and the
Blue Gardenia club in Yokohama.
Do you happen to have any pictures of
the McGill-Yohosuka-Yokahama area that you
would sell copies of?

Ivan Fail
IVAN:

I WISH I HAD PICTURES OF MY MARINE CORPS DAYS WHICH I WOULD BE HAPPY TO SHARE. I BOUGHT A GREAT 35 MILIMETER CAMERA AT THE MCGILL PX AND NEVER TOOK ONE PICTURE {YOU DO SOME STUPID THINGS WHEN YOUR 19 YEARS OLD}. OUR PATHS MIGHT HAVE CROSSED AT CAMP MCGILL. I PROBABLY ARRIVED IN JAPAN AROUND MID /LATE 1956 ABOARD THE GENERAL MANN. WE WERE ATTACHED TO 3RD AMTRACS ALTHOUGH WE WERE PROBABLY ONLY PLATOON STRENGTH. I MADE ONE OF THE IWO EXERCISES POSSIBLY THE SECOND ONE YOU MENTIONED. THEARMY FIRED AN HONEST JOHN MISSLE DURING THE EXERCISE. WE ALSO CLIMBED MT SURABACHI AND SAW THE MONUMENT AT THE TOP. ACTUALLY THE D.U.K.W.S HAD A GREAT RECORD AT IWO DURING THE REAL BATTLE IN THAT THEY DIDNT GET STUCK IN THE DEEP VOLCANIC ASH BEACH(LIKE THE TRACS DID!}. ONE OF MY GREAT REGRETS IS THAT I HAVE NO PICTURES OF MOST OF MY TIME IN THE CORP. THEY DISBANDED THE DUCKS SHORTLY LATER AND I WOUND UP IN MOTOR TRANSPORT. I CAN STILL RECALL THOSE HAIRY AT SEA "WET" LOADINGS UP THE SLICK ROCKING RAMPS OF AN LST IN A D.U.K.W. BEST REGARDS

Dennis Shoup
Dennis Shoup

June 19th, 2002, 9:33 pm #13

I was a radio operator in Charlie Company, 3rd Tank Bn. from nov 55 to jan 57 at South Camp Fuji. I worked for Gunny Amrine. During the spring and summer of '56 Charlie Company went to Takiyama (Camp McGill.) We also had simulated night firefights with some other Marine units around that area. Our group would go into Yokosuka and hang out at the Anchor Inn. I just made contact with D.G. (Jerry) Titus who was in Hqs. Co., 3rd Tanks. He was a message center man at that time. Jerry lives in Sequin, Texas and I live in Fort Worth. Both of us went over and came back on the USS Breckinridge (AP-176). He also was at Takiyama.
Was a R.O.too,a 2531 at AMTRACS there at McGill.Got there on the USS Renville in Feb 57. Came back on the Breckenridge in April 58. The trip back a whole lot easier going weather wise.I Want to thank you for the hull #,of the Breck.If you know how I can get the # for the the Renville I'd appreciate it.

JOHN BUSH
JOHN BUSH

March 1st, 2005, 10:15 pm #14

I WENT THROUGH SOME OF MY OLD STUFF AND YOU ARE CORRECT IT WAS THE 3RD AMTRAC BATT. THAT THE D.U.K.W UNIT WAS ATTACHED TO. IT WAS ALSO THE 3RD TANK BATT 3RD MAR DIV. AT MCGILL AT THAT TIME. THE TANK GUYS HAD THE BEST MESSHALL AND WE WOULD SNEAK IN ONCE IN A WHILE.

REGARDS
WHAT YEARS AT M CGILL ? I WAS IN H&S CO FLAME TANKS JUNE & JULY 1957 LEFT FOR OKI. JOHN BUSH

John T Fisher
John T Fisher

June 1st, 2005, 7:01 pm #15

SEMPER FI DENNIS: WE SHARED SOME INFORMATION ABOUT CAMP MCGILL A WHILE BACK WOULD YOU HAPPEN TO REMEMBER WHAT TANK BAT AND WHAT TRAC UNIT WERE AT MCGILL IN THE MID LATE 1950S? I WAS IN THE DUKW UNIT ATTACHED TO AMTRACS AS BEST AS I REMEMBER. I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY INFORMATION YOU HAVE. REGARDS
A co 3rd Tank Battalion was at Camp McGill in December 1956 for that is when I arrived there. CO was Capt Geisel. Went to Okinawa fall 1956.
John T Fisher
Memphis, TN

Philip M Haislip
Philip M Haislip

August 8th, 2005, 7:07 pm #16

I was a radio operator in Charlie Company, 3rd Tank Bn. from nov 55 to jan 57 at South Camp Fuji. I worked for Gunny Amrine. During the spring and summer of '56 Charlie Company went to Takiyama (Camp McGill.) We also had simulated night firefights with some other Marine units around that area. Our group would go into Yokosuka and hang out at the Anchor Inn. I just made contact with D.G. (Jerry) Titus who was in Hqs. Co., 3rd Tanks. He was a message center man at that time. Jerry lives in Sequin, Texas and I live in Fort Worth. Both of us went over and came back on the USS Breckinridge (AP-176). He also was at Takiyama.
I remember when we off loaded the tanks on to pontoons, the person in charge pointed to the next tank and gave the start up sign. A corporal who standing close by thought he was signaling him and he ran back through the tanks repeating that order. As a result all the tanks started thier engines. We didn't know it at the time but the rear exhaust fans were not working and some of the crewmen were overcome with the fumes from the exhaust. One of them was a guy that went to school with my brother. He was put in the hospital. I think he was in Delta Co. I was in "C" Company. We had just moved from South Camp Fuji to Camp McGill.

August 3rd, 2006, 11:08 pm #17

SEMPER FI DENNIS: WE SHARED SOME INFORMATION ABOUT CAMP MCGILL A WHILE BACK WOULD YOU HAPPEN TO REMEMBER WHAT TANK BAT AND WHAT TRAC UNIT WERE AT MCGILL IN THE MID LATE 1950S? I WAS IN THE DUKW UNIT ATTACHED TO AMTRACS AS BEST AS I REMEMBER. I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY INFORMATION YOU HAVE. REGARDS
I reported in to C Co. 1St . Am Tracs in Spring of 1955. Stayed with them until my tour was over ---18 Mos. McGill was about 10 miles or so out of Yokosuka. Don't remember waht tanks were there . Hope this helps.. Ray