Yetis in the lab: The search for mythical beasts...

Yetis in the lab: The search for mythical beasts...

August 16th, 2012, 6:54 pm #1

Big D
Big D

August 16th, 2012, 8:30 pm #2

It would be nice to have the same sort of effort put forth in this country to find what some of you know exist and what I strongly suspect exists. But in saying that, I have mixed feelings: I fear that real proof may cause an unexpected backlash that would only have negative repercussions for our hairy friends. If we think about it completely objectively, the only people that it would benefit if existence is proven are the hundreds of individuals that have said all along that these creatures are real. And if you think about it in that light, it is pretty selfish of us to want to completely change the existence of a species that has existed just fine without our intervention for thousands of years just so we can say "I TOLD YOU SO" to the rest of the world.

V/R

Big D

MikeInNC
MikeInNC

August 17th, 2012, 2:31 pm #3

If BFs were proven to exist, the following would occur:

1. Scientists would want to acquire specimens, so some BFs would be negatively affected.
2. BFs would become a protected species, the killing of which might be treated as murder.
3. Some people would decide to stay out of the woods (hurting the sale of most outdoor/recreational supplies)
4. Landowners might see the value of their undeveloped land plummet - esp. if locals start sharing BF stories (much like landowners out west who can't sell/develop it (think darter snail, that owl that)
5. Mining, lumber, oil companies, etc. would be affected.

As the potential financial damage could be quite substantial, I feel that "the powers that be" will continue to do whatever is necessary to prevent #1 (the discovery of BF) to ever occur - so #2-#5 never happen (except for parts of CA where BF is protected by law).

My .02 cents.

-Mike

Terry
Terry

August 17th, 2012, 5:12 pm #4

You could be right Mike. It may be too that if it's announced that bf exists that with a little education, i.e. "they've always been here and haven't hurt anything", that folks would get used to it. If they end up protecting more wilderness because of bf that's ok with me. If it scares some folks from going out there, that's ok with me too. More solitude for the rest of us. There is a certain element of the population that goes to the bush armed to the teeth cause they think something will get them. Probably thinking bf are out there will encourage more folks like that. Personally I'd really like to think such an animal exists and shares the wild places with us. I aint holding my breath though.

t.

Big D
Big D

August 18th, 2012, 8:25 pm #5

1. Scientists would want to acquire specimens, so some BFs would be negatively affected.
2. BFs would become a protected species, the killing of which might be treated as murder.
3. Some people would decide to stay out of the woods (hurting the sale of most outdoor/recreational supplies)
4. Landowners might see the value of their undeveloped land plummet - esp. if locals start sharing BF stories (much like landowners out west who can't sell/develop it (think darter snail, that owl that)

As the potential financial damage could be quite substantial, I feel that "the powers that be" will continue to do whatever is necessary to prevent #1 (the discovery of BF) to ever occur - so #2-#5 never happen (except for parts of CA where BF is protected by law).

My .02 cents.

-Mike

These creatures have done a pretty good job of protecting themselves so far. My fear, and I know it is the redneck in me, is that all of my "southernly enhanced" family and friends who presenty think I am an idiot for researching these creatures will take to the woods with their .30-06 rifles and end up hurting the creatures, themselves, or others in the woods; but mostly themselves because everything that moves is going to be a threat. As of now, they all believe that they are the badest thing in the woods. If these creatures are proven to exist, they will know that they are not and I will have to quit hunting, because anything that walks on two feet in the woods will all of a sudden be "a trophy". All of you rednecks out there know exactly what I am talking about!!! I am kidding a little bit because a majority of hunters are very responsible people, but you get my point.

Big D

August 18th, 2012, 8:32 pm #6

My .02 cents.

-Mike
that would only be the case if they were proven to be human through studies and if not are just an undiscovered species of animal placed on the protected species list, and then only that particular type and there are many out there of different shapes and sizes none of which may be related to each other.

MikeInNC
MikeInNC

August 18th, 2012, 9:21 pm #7

It's a possibility. You have something that looks like it's a human ancestor (humanoid, at least) and law-makers are going to jump to conclusions or play CYA with public sentiment.

That is not too far-fetched.

You do see what kinds of laws are passed regarding lemonade stands and the sale of raw milk, right?

-Mike in NC

August 18th, 2012, 10:24 pm #8

my ex-cop dry, no tact sense of humor......

MikeInNC
MikeInNC

August 19th, 2012, 3:57 am #9

LOL - Karma for my "clip" poke. We're even, now :-D n/t

sasquatchms
sasquatchms

August 20th, 2012, 7:21 am #10

It would be nice to have the same sort of effort put forth in this country to find what some of you know exist and what I strongly suspect exists. But in saying that, I have mixed feelings: I fear that real proof may cause an unexpected backlash that would only have negative repercussions for our hairy friends. If we think about it completely objectively, the only people that it would benefit if existence is proven are the hundreds of individuals that have said all along that these creatures are real. And if you think about it in that light, it is pretty selfish of us to want to completely change the existence of a species that has existed just fine without our intervention for thousands of years just so we can say "I TOLD YOU SO" to the rest of the world.

V/R

Big D
nearly everyone on this page wants to shoot one...so, unless they get to shoot one they will never really be satisfied w/ any scientific proof or outcome or whatnot