Time to look at some pictures of suspected tracks...

Time to look at some pictures of suspected tracks...

March 17th, 2011, 12:28 am #1

Deerslayer wrote:

I post under the name "Deerslayer", and last time I posted here a week or two ago I promised some pictures. So, here they are. I don't know what to think of them. So I'm offering them up to this board for opinion.
They were taken in the 80,000 acre Catoosa Wildlife Management Area, in Cumberland County, Tennessee by a job foreman with a road construction company. The prints were found in an area that was being seeded last summer. He told me that he had no idea who or what made these prints and he could even see where it had come through the woods before entering the clearing. He also informed me that a person he knew had left the area one afternoon after hearing "strange noises" like limbs breaking and such.
I am eager to hear what you all have to say about this.

Look the below over and give us an honest opinion...

Terry
Terry

March 17th, 2011, 1:04 am #2

kinda fake to me. The foot isn't rolling around in the mud. The track is just flat...no contours. The fake toes look good though.

t.

MikeInNC
MikeInNC

March 17th, 2011, 2:09 am #3

Deerslayer wrote:

I post under the name "Deerslayer", and last time I posted here a week or two ago I promised some pictures. So, here they are. I don't know what to think of them. So I'm offering them up to this board for opinion.
They were taken in the 80,000 acre Catoosa Wildlife Management Area, in Cumberland County, Tennessee by a job foreman with a road construction company. The prints were found in an area that was being seeded last summer. He told me that he had no idea who or what made these prints and he could even see where it had come through the woods before entering the clearing. He also informed me that a person he knew had left the area one afternoon after hearing "strange noises" like limbs breaking and such.

It's not fair for me respond because I'm "arm chair" and haven't seen enough prints up-close-and-personal to make an educated opinion.......

BUT, it's the internet, so here goes

It'd be helpful to know what the distance between tracks is to see if it would match a human stride (meaning: are the close enough for a human to fake, or too far apart for someone to successfully pull it off?).

The "good print" looks kind of "perfect" and uniformly straight along the edges. The toes seems itty-bitty to me.....and too perfectly straight across.

Then, the last pic shoes a more V-shaped print. More than one creature? Angle of camera? Is the left foot different from the right foot for some reason?

The best print is shown 3 times. The rest are ignored except for the V-shape print. It'd be good to see pics of other prints for comparison.....

They look "fakey" to me. But again, that's just an arm chair perspective.

-Mike in NC

March 17th, 2011, 2:59 pm #4

Your opinion is as valuable as any field researcher I'm aware of concerning the tracks...stride would be an important factor...were there others?...
Last edited by tiny on March 17th, 2011, 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deerslayer
Deerslayer

March 17th, 2011, 3:05 pm #5

According to the man who sent them to me, the spacing was around 6 feet apart. and there was only one individual.

Terry
Terry

March 17th, 2011, 3:17 pm #6

Your opinion is as valuable as any field researcher I'm aware of concerning the tracks...stride would be an important factor...were there others?...
of that drawing EB used to use of a huge wheel with feet sticking out of it. The idea being you rolled it across the ground and it would stamp footprints into the dirt as it rolled. lol

t.

March 17th, 2011, 6:28 pm #7

with Mike and T being the only two to respond...surly you have an opinion...you're not going to hurt any one's feelings with your opinion...c'mon...I want some response from you folks...Deer slayer was good enough and took his time to share...take a few minutes, look the tracks over and tell us what you think...

I have my opinion already but I'll put mine up after others...don't be the kid in the classroom that sits in the back and never raises his hand...

Nellie
Nellie

March 17th, 2011, 6:40 pm #8

Deerslayer wrote:

did the human footprint sink as deep as the bigfoot print? The print looks to me like it has a very slight rise in the foot(the fifth picture). The print seems to have a sunken area up front in the middle of the foot that gives a "V" or a "Y" look. The last picture shows what looks like the mucky dirt could have possibly stuck to the bottom of it's foot or the foot is raised in that area and doesn't leave a smooth print there but a roughed-up area like the surrounding ground on the outside of the print...if you get what I'm trying to say. Just my armchair opinion.
Those are some WIDE feet too.

Geronimo
Geronimo

March 17th, 2011, 7:00 pm #9

Deerslayer wrote:

It looks like a wooden foot was used to make impressions in the mud. You can see in one of the pictures that the edges of the footprint are deeper than the middle of the footprint. The middle of the footprint is flat and it looks like the "foot" was rolled from side to side to make it deeper. I really don't see a metatarsal break in any of the "footprints" specially since they are in the mud. There are no signs of forward locomotion in the mud. It doesn't look like the heel was planted and pushed off with the toes. The toes are not proportional the the size of foot. The depth of the impressions are not proportional to the possible weight of the critter. But then again, it's hard to tell from all the way over here.

Nellie
Nellie

March 17th, 2011, 7:11 pm #10

with Mike and T being the only two to respond...surly you have an opinion...you're not going to hurt any one's feelings with your opinion...c'mon...I want some response from you folks...Deer slayer was good enough and took his time to share...take a few minutes, look the tracks over and tell us what you think...

I have my opinion already but I'll put mine up after others...don't be the kid in the classroom that sits in the back and never raises his hand...
making an educated guess on prints in a picture is not like being there and seeing them for real so what the heck...give it shot.