Timber Companies involvement...

Timber Companies involvement...

May 22nd, 2009, 6:33 pm #1

Obviously I have no idea if Titmus, Green and associates were hired by timber companies to eradicate these creatures from the Bluff Creek area but something I do know...in the early seventies the timber companies had a bounty on bear...in season or out of season was acceptable...

Makes me think Lafferty, I believe a timber cruiser for a company or maybe an independent timber cruiser, name pops up during this time period...we know from reading reports that the working men were having problems with these creatures throwing 55 gallon barrels around from time to time and I'm quite sure terrorizing these men...if you were paying a crew you would expect results and if these creatures were preventing your crews from performing their duties because of fear then we need to get this problem solved...it does make sense to hire someone or hunters to come in and eliminate without giving up the identity of who they were hired by...

Wookiefever
Wookiefever

May 22nd, 2009, 8:32 pm #2

Makes sense that a company would want what ever problem was impeading there efforts and time tables to generate profit to be dealt with fast and complete.

Makes sense to me.

Terry
Terry

May 23rd, 2009, 3:31 pm #3

I work with timber companies. We're always dealing with species at risk, hawk's nests (stick nests), etc. For example, a large no cut reserve is required around a stick nest. You don't see the companies sending out men to remove the nests. Here in Ontario a company wouldn't even know what a bf was, they wouldn't believe it if you told them and they wouldn't care. They have enough to worry about putting in roads, managing men and getting thier product to market. That's here though and it's my humble opinion.

t.

May 23rd, 2009, 4:08 pm #4

Not many knew timber companies hired hunters to kill out the bears in that area year round...today...this wouldn't happen....years back the trees were harvested without any timber being saved around the creeks...now there is a thirty foot bumper on each side here...species protection was brought about by the animals rights organizations since all timber was being harvested without regard to species habitat...

Fifty years back this Bluff Creek area was an untouched virgin growth of trees...companies were hired to build roads for access to this timber...if there was a population of bear or BF that presented any problems in preforming their work they would be eliminated without questions being asked...the roads began back in the 50's with the first tracks being cast...Bob Titmus supplied the materials and expertise in casting that first track...

Why does his name always pop up when we discuss the Bluff Creek Incident?...it's obvious these tracks were from these creatures...