News...Dr. Ketchum...DNA Diagnostics...

News...Dr. Ketchum...DNA Diagnostics...

Monster Hunter
Monster Hunter

July 10th, 2011, 1:59 pm #1

http://www.bbb.org/east-texas/business- ... x-24003140

Poor business procedures will always come back to bite you in your arse...personally I do know and understand no person, company can satisfy every customer but when you as owner will not personally respond to complaints it gives the impression that your customers money is more important then services provided...

Checks or money orders should never be cashed until the process has begun...if you are unable to provide service to your customers in a timely manner then by all means refuse the job...

We all know how our community reacts when something "could be a bit shady" concerning the DNA analysis...questions needed asked and answered...who provided items for analysis?...how were these samples collected?...reputation of both the people submitting the samples and by all means the "labs credentials"...

Personally and currently I have items for DNA analysis with Dr. Ketchum...when I last spoke with her she was covered up with BF purported samples...Having used Dr. Ketchum previously I find her to be an honest, sincere dedicated professional...her lack of response to some reported questionable business practices will always subject her and company to criticism...

woodswatcher
woodswatcher

July 10th, 2011, 4:02 pm #2

Coming from experience in this field I can honestly say that doesnt surprise me.

There are VERY FEW privately held laboratories that process DNA samples of any type that are not affiliated with State Universities or Governmental Agencies. The cost of operations is staggering and operations are questionable at best from private laboratories in this field. those State and Government supported operations are only able to readily perform expensive and laboric testing subsidized by your tax dollars. pure and simple.

We deal with DNA samples daily at my laboratory. I will not accept any sample for DNA analysis without payment in full from any of my clients. the simple reason is that I want the Veterinarian to understand he/she must collect payment immediately upon collection of the sample. Too many times individuals want a DNA analysis for a situation only to get sticker shock when they are submitted a bill 30 days later and either refuse to pay it or the pay out is in 90 days or more. Most DNA laboratories require payment in FULL upon reciept of specimens, when I send in a company check, I want reimbursement right then.

In many cases it is a 3-4 stage payment, client pays Veterinarian, Veterinarian pays me, My laboratory pays the Reference Laboratory, that Reference Laboratory, may subcontract those services out to another Reference Laboratory.

We have been serously looking into putting in a DNA section in our laboratory, our only hesitation is cost of operations and steady payments from clients.

DNA probes and full mDNA testing is brutally expensive and many times require the analysis to be retested several times due to Human or Non Human error. It is not uncommon to repeat a test 2-3 times to gain a valid result.

Most DNA testing is done on probes with known control bands and genomes made by a company in a kit, specifically for the certain sitation. an unknown entity is a whole different issue. there are only 4 laboratories I know of that have the capability of performing a test on something like this. It would take massive technical settings and operations to perform full sequencing.

Having a laboratory with employees that would keep its mouth shut about something like this would be almost nonexistant.

The other kicker is the fact that IF a laboratory gets caught with any type of a Primate sample that is not a certified Primate laboratory by APHIS and CDC, things could get dicy. There has been alot of regulations put into place in the past few years based on tragic situations are some University Laboratories.

Another issue is that laboratories are bought out by larger laboratories every week. Competition buying out competition. DNA laboratories research and develop testing and when they find something that gets certified, a larger company will then buy them out for a subsidiary. It is cheaper than running a Full Time R/D section in many cases. A plus side is that you can control your competition and raise market pricing or franchise out that patented testing to other laboratories for the availability to test.

This makes the DNA field an extremely tough enterprise.

July 10th, 2011, 5:30 pm #3

I know running a business pretty well...to collect money from people who submit samples is to never release results until you've been paid in full...never start the tests until you've been paid a partial payment...business ethics require all business people to be honest and forthright...collecting funds, cashing the check before beginning the process no matter the business is unethical IMO...it can't be painted any other color...

Something about being in business...if you can't afford to pay out expenses with what you've earned then if you stoop to using monies from a promise without preforming the service to keep your doors open it's only a matter of time before the doors are closed...

Reputation builds a successful business...promises without fulfilling these promises are worthless...

Let me put it in simple terms...you hire a contractor to work on your home for X amount of money...if the contractor asks for money before he begins the work or delivers any supplies find another contractor...

woodswatcher
woodswatcher

July 10th, 2011, 7:05 pm #4

thats the point of my post.

We deal only with State University and .Gov Laboratories due to the fact so many privately held ones wont be around next month when their money runs out.

any laboratory that runs a DNA section has other sections that pay the bills. there are very few privately held DNA labs that last long.

also..

I was always told the defination of a Contractor was

a Con with a Tractor.

July 10th, 2011, 9:39 pm #5

in business for over a decade...she has moved once that I'm aware of and has worked with different groups during the scare of the Bird Flu some years back...she told me this over the telephone returning my call from somewhere up north...

Something people need to understand concerning results of DNA...if you didn't submit them for analysis the lab will not report any findings to you at all...

I'm not positive but have heard that many veterinarians use her...the vets I know use her...