General question on tree knocking.

General question on tree knocking.

Rick Tullos
Rick Tullos

June 4th, 2010, 2:16 pm #1

When most of you hear tree knocking do you hear just one knock or 2 or 3?
Also when trying to get a response do you do multiple knocks or a single knock followed by several minutes of silence?
One more, do you initiate the knocking session or wait until you hear knocking and then respond to it?
I have a reason for asking these questions but I want to hear from some of you before I expound upon it.
One more thing, you have to listen real good to make sure that you are actually hearing tree "Knocking{" because there are at least 2 other animals in north America that can make a similar sound.
Can you name them?
Jim I know you can!
There are a lot of others on here too that I know can, just a little pop quiz.

zubaz
zubaz

June 4th, 2010, 7:19 pm #2

woodpecker is one

Rick Tullos
Rick Tullos

June 4th, 2010, 10:10 pm #3

Can somebody name the other?
Actually there are 2 other but one of them is Bigfoot.
No I am not talking about Humans,something other than that.

Crispy Critter
Crispy Critter

June 5th, 2010, 12:18 am #4

Also when trying to get a response do you do multiple knocks or a single knock followed by several minutes of silence?
One more, do you initiate the knocking session or wait until you hear knocking and then respond to it?
I have a reason for asking these questions but I want to hear from some of you before I expound upon it.
One more thing, you have to listen real good to make sure that you are actually hearing tree "Knocking{" because there are at least 2 other animals in north America that can make a similar sound.
Can you name them?
Jim I know you can!
That's what Don calls me.....oh no - that is peckerhead......isn't that a Jimmy Buffet fan?

I have only heard knocking a few times - never responded - because I don't know what it was means - think it is mainly a way to locate and or warn the others - guessing from what I experienced.

I look at it like call blasting - unless you know what it means you might not want to be blasting it out there. And I don't know anyone who speaks BF (though I have read some web sites where they claim they can...)

Am curious about why you are asking...............Special Agent Tullus...

Rick Tullos
Rick Tullos

June 5th, 2010, 1:29 pm #5

They call me "Peckerwood",,LOL.
BTW, It's TULLOS not TullUs.
Were you and Don the spelling bee champions along with Jethro Bodine,,,LOL
Just kiddin.

Rick Tullos
Rick Tullos

June 6th, 2010, 12:57 pm #6

Can somebody name the other?
Actually there are 2 other but one of them is Bigfoot.
No I am not talking about Humans,something other than that.
Drum roll please,,,,,,,
A Beaver!
That's right I said a beaver.
They will slap their tail against a tree and make you think you have a PO'd monster watching you.
That said, if you are not in an area where there is a lot of water then that is probably not the culprit.
It's a little different sound but can easily be confused most of what I have heard that I believe is really a monster sounds like Lou Ferrigno with a Louisville slugger laying into the side of a tree.

Crispy Critter
Crispy Critter

June 6th, 2010, 6:39 pm #7

They call me "Peckerwood",,LOL.
BTW, It's TULLOS not TullUs.
Were you and Don the spelling bee champions along with Jethro Bodine,,,LOL
Just kiddin.
Was the top honor student in our little pooh dunk one room backwoods twice a week school - - Don and I could only hope and strive to emulate him.......

Rick Tullos
Rick Tullos

June 6th, 2010, 8:15 pm #8

You say he had the first place treophy and you had the 2nd and Don was 3rd?
How many were in your class?
3?

Crispy Critter
Crispy Critter

June 6th, 2010, 10:24 pm #9

But Maybell got her buns in the oven in the 6th grade and never finished......

RubyRed
RubyRed

June 7th, 2010, 2:26 pm #10

Can you name them?
Jim I know you can!
captured three very loud knocks on our video camera at a sight-seeing over hang in the Kiamiche Mountains. We had stopped on the way home from the Memorial Weekend Oklahoma Meeting in 2007 (I think). The knocking sounds were too loud and too short to have been made by a Woodpecker, although they could have been done by a human. But since we were a good distance from fellow campers still in their undisclosed location when we filmed it, we thought it unusual and that we'd possibly heard a monster tree knocking. The sound unsettled us, although we saw nothing in the area that could have been hitting a tree. Silver joked before we left the place, "I think 'they' want us to leave." So, we left.
Ruby