Game Camera...

Game Camera...

November 6th, 2010, 12:12 am #1

THE UNIT 8.0 MEGAPIXEL INFRARED DIGITAL SCOUTING CAMERA STEALTH CAM $118.70 plus shipping at the below...the camera is listed at about $250. at the Stealth site...BTW...this camera, if it works, will do everything the Moultries I have for a 100 bucks less...I may buy a couple and try them out...

http://www.thehousewaresstore.com/pe-stc-u840ir.html

Read about the Stealth Cam below...

http://www.stealthcam.net/HTML/sc_unit.html

November 6th, 2010, 12:20 am #2

The price has dropped since last year...I gave about $225. a piece at Academy...I haven't had any problems with my game cams...Batteries have a long life and I have left one out for several months that had over 450 pictures...

Moultrie MFH-DGS-D55IR Mou 5.0 Digital IR Game Camera

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... CCgQ8wIwAg#

Bowhunting.com New $101.99

BHM Golf New $99.99

Chad Triplett
Chad Triplett

November 6th, 2010, 2:04 am #3

I got a new Moultrie today from Wally world 99 bucks!

November 6th, 2010, 12:49 pm #4

The Moultries I have are the best we've used for a relatively inexpensive game cam...I've owned Stealth without a whole lot of success...the stealth ate batteries like a kid eating candy...great pictures when it worked but when it quit Stealths customer service ain't worth a crap...I've had others tell me their Stealth is an excellent camera so maybe I had a lemon...BTW...IMO...mega pixel is not that important with a game camera since distance of activation comes into play...

FYI...if you're Monster hunting with your camera use the video mode...people will squawk over a picture...video, seeing Monster movement, is darn near undeniable...

November 6th, 2010, 1:11 pm #5

We have several pictures of this doe without any eye reflection coming from her left eye...injuries happen to animals in the wild...I'm sure there are a few Monsters traveling around with some type of injury...BTW...we set the date and time on the camera but Jake went back thinking it wasn't working...removed the batteries...forgot to reset the time and date...always remember...your children are like acorns...they never fall far from the tree...

November 6th, 2010, 6:08 pm #6

but he darn sure heard the camera activate...this could be one reason we're not able to get pictures of Monsters...

You can tell by the blur of the first picture this buck heard the camera...the camera is set to take three consecutive pictures and this deer didn't take his eyes off of the camera or direction he heard the camera go off...

The deer leaves...I'm sure he knows something is not just right but returns shortly coming back in to the food plot head on...

Crispy Critter
Crispy Critter

November 7th, 2010, 12:39 am #7

The stuff they put in the plastic case glows like a light house under the ultra violet that critters like deer see in at night. Next time you are Walmart pick up one of them $8 black lights. Put your game cam out in the yard - turn on the BL and kill the porch light.

Better yet - have Jake put it out there and see how long it takes you to spot it with the BL. Then you'll understand why deer stare at them, bears try to eat them, and BF's avoid them.

Anonymous
Anonymous

November 7th, 2010, 6:58 am #8

The Moultries I have are the best we've used for a relatively inexpensive game cam...I've owned Stealth without a whole lot of success...the stealth ate batteries like a kid eating candy...great pictures when it worked but when it quit Stealths customer service ain't worth a crap...I've had others tell me their Stealth is an excellent camera so maybe I had a lemon...BTW...IMO...mega pixel is not that important with a game camera since distance of activation comes into play...

FYI...if you're Monster hunting with your camera use the video mode...people will squawk over a picture...video, seeing Monster movement, is darn near undeniable...
yes its an IR. I have it hung for deer hunting right now, but I hope to use it for anything that walks by including the big guy. Its on stills right now and after next week I will see what I have and maybe put it on video. I agree with you. Where I hunt I know of no squatch sightings and all my scouting all Ive seen is deer and bear sign.

November 7th, 2010, 12:48 pm #9

The stuff they put in the plastic case glows like a light house under the ultra violet that critters like deer see in at night. Next time you are Walmart pick up one of them $8 black lights. Put your game cam out in the yard - turn on the BL and kill the porch light.

Better yet - have Jake put it out there and see how long it takes you to spot it with the BL. Then you'll understand why deer stare at them, bears try to eat them, and BF's avoid them.
But you also said flat black paint would remove the glow...

November 7th, 2010, 1:09 pm #10

yes its an IR. I have it hung for deer hunting right now, but I hope to use it for anything that walks by including the big guy. Its on stills right now and after next week I will see what I have and maybe put it on video. I agree with you. Where I hunt I know of no squatch sightings and all my scouting all Ive seen is deer and bear sign.
What Deer See
Clothing counts, but hunting skills are what keep you hidden.
Article by John Barsness. Uploaded on June 19, 2003

If you understand how deer look at the world, you can avoid the simple mistakes that send bucks running. For decades hunters believed that deer saw in black and white, but scientists have dissected every aspect of a deer's life, and it turns out a deer's universe doesn't resemble old Wyatt Earp reruns.

Light and Color
Mammal eyes contain two different types of cells that receive light: rods and cones. Rods are sensitive to low light but don't register colors. Cones pick up color in daylight. Human eyes contain more cones, so we distinguish color well. Because we have relatively few rods, however, our night vision is limited. Deer eyes are heavy on rods and light on cones, so whitetails and muleys move easily in the dark. Recent research also shows that deer see some colors fairly well.

"Color" is how we perceive light of various wavelengths and frequencies, making up the visible spectrum, what we see in a rainbow. On one end of the spectrum is red, with the longest wavelengths apparent to the human eye; at the other end is violet, with the shortest.

However, other light wavelengths exist. Just as human ears can't hear some sounds, human eyes can't see some light. These invisible wavelengths include ultraviolet (beyond violet) and infrared (below red). Deer sense colors toward the violet end of the spectrum, so they can see blues and probably even ultraviolet (UV) light. Deer show a slight sensitivity to yellow, but tests indicate that green, orange, and red appear to them as shades of gray.

Sound Science or Good Marketing?
Exactly how well deer see UV light is debatable. Clothing can contain UV brighteners, additives incorporated in some fabrics and detergents that supposedly make the clothes appear brighter. According to one theory, such clothing makes hunters glow in the dark to a deer's eyes. A company that made a UV-killing detergent attempted to prove this with a video showing hunters wandering around after dark, wearing either UV-brightened or non-UV camouflage. Under a black light the former glowed, whereas the latter almost disappeared.

There are problems with this so-called evidence. Video cameras and human eyes don't see the way deer do, and hunters don't hunt at night under black lights.

For years most hunters I know (including me) unwittingly wore UV-brightened fabric. We never spooked deer unless we did something stupid, like move. From this empirical evidence, I'll go out on a limb and say that a deer's UV sensitivity is pretty low. If you're the type that leaves nothing to chance, go ahead and buy UV-free clothing and detergents, but I wouldn't bet the hunting season on them.

Predator and Prey
As with most prey species, a deer's wide-set eyes lie on either side of its head. Consequently deer can see almost 90 percent of the world around them and pick up movement that humans and other predators, with close-set eyes at the front of the head, cannot. However, deer only have binocular (two-eyed) vision in a very narrow arc directly in front of their noses. If we sit still, deer generally perceive us as just another lump in the landscape.

I hunt a lot from ground blinds. Dozens of deer have walked up and started browsing only a few feet away, even when I was dressed in less than ideal clothing, like a solid hunter-orange sweatshirt and blue jeans. The sweatshirt's "pale gray" was broken up by a few branches, and my blue jeans were hidden by tall grass. I've also rattled in bucks to less than 50 yards, with the deer looking directly at me with both eyes. As long as I do my best statue act, they keep coming.