Found Hair

Found Hair

Doc
Doc

February 21st, 2010, 4:59 pm #1

...in the barbed wire fence where this critter is crossing the fence...and did so on the night I found the scat. Of course the first alternative hypothesis is that it is "mule" but none of my mules have ANY blondish hairs. Second alternative hypothesis, could it be from the neighbors stud horse one year ago...? Possibly, but these are dark brown with a few blondish not pinto !!
Where is a lab that can do the proper analysis...recommendations ?

Will be glad to photo and post if curious

February 21st, 2010, 5:41 pm #2

Paper or plastic...?...it does make a difference...and...what are the lengths of the hair?...
Last edited by tiny on February 21st, 2010, 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chattahoocheebigfoot
chattahoocheebigfoot

February 21st, 2010, 7:24 pm #3

The oil that slowly leach from plastic baggies destroy any potential DNA on those rich little hair follicles. Use small paper baggies.

Do the samples have follicles?

Jeff

chattahoocheebigfoot
chattahoocheebigfoot

February 21st, 2010, 7:26 pm #4

...in the barbed wire fence where this critter is crossing the fence...and did so on the night I found the scat. Of course the first alternative hypothesis is that it is "mule" but none of my mules have ANY blondish hairs. Second alternative hypothesis, could it be from the neighbors stud horse one year ago...? Possibly, but these are dark brown with a few blondish not pinto !!

....a good lab for you.

email me privately:

jeffreyteagle@gmail.com

Jeff

Rick Tullos
Rick Tullos

February 21st, 2010, 11:10 pm #5

Now you know the answer to the question so many pose.
What do they eat?
Pine needles have a lot of sugar in them, sugar is energy, we do not find them very tasty but animals can eat a lot of things that we cannot.

February 22nd, 2010, 1:15 pm #6

some animal abortions...

Nellie
Nellie

February 22nd, 2010, 4:58 pm #7

You being funny or is that a fact? Never heard of that before.

February 22nd, 2010, 5:20 pm #8

When I found the green scat with pine needles in it...Google pine needles and animals...

February 22nd, 2010, 10:23 pm #9

CoastalMike
CoastalMike

February 23rd, 2010, 6:08 pm #10

Now you know the answer to the question so many pose.
What do they eat?
Pine needles have a lot of sugar in them, sugar is energy, we do not find them very tasty but animals can eat a lot of things that we cannot.
I think the reason you saw them in scat is they are practically indigestible. Aside from having some vit C, they have nearly no survival value. Only some insects eat them.