351 for dirt track racing

June 18th, 2011, 11:48 pm #11

it is hard to do anything with if you have to keep it stock appearing. It is extremely heavy for what it is, and the metal is very hard. It is not easy to port for any other application, and because it is so hard to work with, I do not recommend it for any other type of racing. I would use an aftermarket head where iron is specified. The Windsor SR can be ported to flow near 330 cfm with a 2.05 intake valve---a far cry from 241 of the N351. Joe-JDC.

Craig Nash
Craig Nash

June 19th, 2011, 5:56 am #12

Does anyone know where one could get a (legible) copy of the cylinder block blueprint Charlie Long is holding in the first picture of the Circle Track article?

June 19th, 2011, 4:23 pm #13

might try the Ford Racing website directly (the Ford site has links) and contact them. Or, this link has Charlie Long's phone #:

http://www.circletrack.com/enginetech/c ... retor.html

Craig Nash
Craig Nash

June 21st, 2011, 5:03 am #14

I began to go into this a little and then realized the info I want is the bellhousing drawing for the five bolt engine, so obviously the 1965 up six bolt info is not useful.

I have a five bolt bellhousing whose transmission bearing retainer bore some "clever" fellow enlarged with a die grinder, by the look of it. Presumably this was to fit the later transmission with its larger retainer.

I want to locate this bellhousing by its dowel holes on a milling machine, then clean up the bodged bore. I will then make up a ring to push into this new cleaned up bore, to restore the unit to original specs.