wont go in gear "cold"

wont go in gear "cold"

bob
bob

January 22nd, 2011, 5:26 pm #1

I have a 1987 ford F250 4X4 with a 460. not sure of the tranny type only know its an automatic.. the problem i am having is it works fine until it sits in the cold weather for a while. then it wont fully engage the tranny! it acts like its going in gear by putting a strain on the motor but it wont move{not even if you hook a chain to it and pull it with anouther truck}Usualy it will finaly go into gear with a hard clunk after it has suffitiantly warmed up -ie'40 minuts or so. Once it has it works great. no slipping or anything. im thinking something must be sticking in the valve body. not alowing things to fully engage. any thoughts or ideas what this problem could be or how to fix it.

Mac
Mac

January 23rd, 2011, 4:41 pm #2

What happenes when you try to pull it with another truck. Does it slide the tires if so which ones. Can you tow it in neutral or with the engine off when it is cold?
Mac

bob
bob

January 25th, 2011, 2:17 am #3

i couldnt pull the truck in reverse with the engine running and the shifter in reverse all 4 tires slid across the ground. it was in 4 wheel drive and locked in at the time. also it wouldnt roll in neutral while running and it was on a very steep hill. didnt think to shut it off and try neutral my guess is that would have worked but ill have to check on that to make sure. im thinking something is freezing up and sticking, and i thought a filter and fluid change may help on the off chance their may have been moisture inside it but that had no affect, it did it again a couple of days later. any ideas?

Mac
Mac

January 25th, 2011, 4:37 pm #4

I'm betting more on brakes freezing up,emerency brake not releasing or transfer cast more than transmission. The next time you park it, put the transfer case in neutral before you shut it off. Now the next time you try to move it you can check transmission ,transfer case and brakws seperatly.
Mac

mick
mick

January 31st, 2011, 7:42 pm #5

forward lip seals are worn out. they get rock hard until the fluid warms up then they soften sealing the forward piston..forward clutches are engaged in every gear including reverse. time for a rebuild

mick
mick

January 31st, 2011, 7:47 pm #6

I'm betting more on brakes freezing up,emerency brake not releasing or transfer cast more than transmission. The next time you park it, put the transfer case in neutral before you shut it off. Now the next time you try to move it you can check transmission ,transfer case and brakws seperatly.
Mac
transfer case cannot warm up without moveing. its chain driven and either works or does not.. its mechanical only and no hydros are in t case. im sure its an np 208...very reliable case.

Mac
Mac

February 1st, 2011, 12:32 am #7

Hard rubber won't cause a lock up. Bad bearings or torrington washers in transfer case can. Also park pawl not disengageing. Best approach is process of elimination.
Mac

February 1st, 2011, 3:45 am #8

forward lip seals are worn out. they get rock hard until the fluid warms up then they soften sealing the forward piston..forward clutches are engaged in every gear including reverse. time for a rebuild
"forward lip seals are worn out. they get rock hard until the fluid warms up then they soften sealing the forward piston..forward clutches are engaged in every gear including reverse. time for a rebuild"

Hmm, someone is missing the idea here.

Forward clutches are engaged in forward only.