use report covers as AOD transmission seal installer tools?

use report covers as AOD transmission seal installer tools?

February 20th, 2012, 3:29 pm #1

The kit of tools to protect the lip seals when reassembling the clutch packs in a Ford AOD tranny costs $115 plus shipping. For instance

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRANSMISSION-TO ... 92&vxp=mtr

I've seen a website that says one can use clear plastic report covers if one has a lot of patience.

Has someone done this and have it work out OK? I don't expect to ever do another AOD past this one.

February 20th, 2012, 5:43 pm #2

You can assemble without using the sleeves but must have extreme patience.

March 2nd, 2012, 12:11 am #3

I've also seen a universal lip seal installer tool, T-0015. Seems like a stick with a wire loop on each end, $20 - $35. Have no idea how it even works. Claimed to work with most transmissions.

March 2nd, 2012, 12:45 am #4

Don't use that tool unless you want to cut the lip seals....

Pure garbage! (well... it might work for some "old time" trannys... but no way on the AOD)

You would have much better luck with the thin plastic report covers or a fairly stiff feeler blade. About 0.025".. maybe a bit less.

If using a feeler blade, buff/sand the edges so they are nice and smooth. No sharp edges!

The feeler blade should have a rounded tip. Not squared off.

Also make slight bend in the feeler blade about 1/4 to 3/8 from one end.

Use that to kind of "lever" the outer lip seal into the drum. Hard to explain...

Basically put the piston in drum and use the blade to kind of shove the seal towards the piston "levering" against the side of the drum. Work a little at a time, it take patience, if you get in a hurry you WILL cut a seal.

The inner piston seal on the FWD drum can be a pain.

There is a sharp edge that the seal has to go over, if you have access to a lathe you can polish that sharp edge... so it's no longer sharp.

The reverse drum is a bear because of the lathe cut seals and the very sharp edge of the seal bore. Very tough to do without the proper tool.

Again, a lathe would help to chamfer the sharp edge.

Good luck!
Last edited by galaxiex on March 2nd, 2012, 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 2nd, 2012, 2:11 pm #5

I've also seen a universal lip seal installer tool, T-0015. Seems like a stick with a wire loop on each end, $20 - $35. Have no idea how it even works. Claimed to work with most transmissions.
I've used a combination of wire loops and feeler guages.

March 6th, 2012, 1:38 am #6

It was pretty easy using the set to get them in.

You guys are great; what a tremendous resource.