Need help with multiple C4 problems

Need help with multiple C4 problems

March 21st, 2011, 3:54 am #1

I recently bought a used C4 for my sons Capri. The transmission reportedly had about 10,000 miles since a rebuild, and a B&M shift kit installed. We put it in the car with a 2800 TCI converter. The problems are listed below in sequence:

1. All gears worked well except it had no 3rd gear.
2. Car sat a week and when we drove it aqain all gears worked well.
3. Drove it the next day and it had no 3rd gear again and it began loading up in 1st and 2nd gear like the transmission was locking up.
4. Pulled valve body to look for trash etc. and found that it was assembled with no separator plate gasket.
5. There was not debri or clutch material in pan.
5. Reassembled with Transgo shift kit including gasket.
6 Adjusted bands per instruction, which was "snug with a short wrench" and the back off 1 1/2 turns on the front and 2 turns on the rear.
7. Test drove and had same symptoms as 3 above.

What would cause it to not have 3rd one day then have a strong 3rd a week later, then back to having no 3rd again? Also what would cause the loading up in 1st and 2nd?
I am not sure whether the filler tube and dipstick are correct for the transmission. Where should the fluid level be in relation to the top of the pan?

Thanks,
James
Last edited by Fairlane62 on March 21st, 2011, 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

truck doctor
truck doctor

March 23rd, 2011, 1:31 am #2

ther are a few things to check #1 does it back up good all the time. #2 revove the v/b and air check the trany clutches and govenor port #3 with the v/b off turn the drive shaft in one direction then the other it should seem to turn easyer in on diection and should have what i can desribe is a slight squeel sound and none in the oposite direction. check these out first.

James
James

March 23rd, 2011, 2:48 am #3

I recently bought a used C4 for my sons Capri. The transmission reportedly had about 10,000 miles since a rebuild, and a B&M shift kit installed. We put it in the car with a 2800 TCI converter. The problems are listed below in sequence:

1. All gears worked well except it had no 3rd gear.
2. Car sat a week and when we drove it aqain all gears worked well.
3. Drove it the next day and it had no 3rd gear again and it began loading up in 1st and 2nd gear like the transmission was locking up.
4. Pulled valve body to look for trash etc. and found that it was assembled with no separator plate gasket.
5. There was not debri or clutch material in pan.
5. Reassembled with Transgo shift kit including gasket.
6 Adjusted bands per instruction, which was "snug with a short wrench" and the back off 1 1/2 turns on the front and 2 turns on the rear.
7. Test drove and had same symptoms as 3 above.

What would cause it to not have 3rd one day then have a strong 3rd a week later, then back to having no 3rd again? Also what would cause the loading up in 1st and 2nd?
I am not sure whether the filler tube and dipstick are correct for the transmission. Where should the fluid level be in relation to the top of the pan?

Thanks,
James
Truck Doctor,
Yes it is very strong in reverse. It just misses 3rd and then seems to bind up in 2nd.
I am traveling but will pull the VB and air check when I get back later this week. Is 100 psi enough?

Thanks again,
James

March 23rd, 2011, 3:32 am #4

100 psi is too much.

Try 40 psi.

James
James

April 2nd, 2011, 3:37 pm #5

Truck Doctor,
Yes it is very strong in reverse. It just misses 3rd and then seems to bind up in 2nd.
I am traveling but will pull the VB and air check when I get back later this week. Is 100 psi enough?

Thanks again,
James
OK, I am back and finally did the air check. Results are as follows:

Governor - No obnoxious noise, so possible problem?
Forward clutch - No noticable engagement, so possible problem?
Direct clutch - OK
Intermediate servo - OK
Low Reverse servo - OK

It is odd that it would be a clutch pack since it had 3rd gear one day, and did not have it the next day. Reverse is strong, it just has no 3rd gear and occasionally has the binding up in 2nd.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
James

truck doctor
truck doctor

April 3rd, 2011, 12:24 am #6

you may want to check the intermidiate servo piston and the seal. it uses third gear presure to relese the intermidiat band. if it leaks enough second gear may drag.and the presure on the third clutch may be to low to grab proper. or you mave have a v/b problem. i find that the servos get cloged up with grey debri.

April 3rd, 2011, 2:05 am #7

Truck Doctor,
I'll cehck the servo. It wouldn't be the VB because I took it off to do the air check.

What about the governor air check not making noise? Could that cause the 3rd gear problem?

Thanks,
James

April 9th, 2011, 4:15 am #8

I cleaned the intermediate servo re-lubed and reassembled. When I first air tested the clutch made the engage "clunk" sound but did not make the "clunk" when it released. After that it made no noise when I air tested again. I also still do not get any noise when I air check the governor.
So what is the prognosis? I had 3rd one day and none the next with 2nd binding up. But I have a strong reverse which would indicate that the forward clutch is ok.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I can swap in another C4, but would rather not as it is a hassle removing the headers.

Thanks,
James

truck doctor
truck doctor

April 10th, 2011, 1:22 am #9

you should get a clunk clunk sound each time you air check the high clutch. clutch piston may be overextending due to worn or inproperly clearenced high clutch pack.when it over extends it cocks and it leaks causing second to posibly partialy re engage. just a idea .kinda stuk in two gears.

James
James

April 10th, 2011, 2:28 am #10

I put the valve body back in to see whether there was any change after cleaning the servo. When it shifts from 1st to 2nd as before, but now it downshifts back to 1st as soon as I left off the gas so something has changed again. It still doesn't have 3rd.

I guess I will just swap in another transmission.

Thanks,
James