Missing spacer plate

Missing spacer plate

April 10th, 2012, 10:30 pm #1

Guy i am having problems with a Small block C6
I purchased it New from TCi Super street fighter
it has overheated since the day I installed it.
I put a larger B&M plate cooler in front of the radiator and it still overheats
Originally i had just a small Aluminum Finned cooler in the frame and it stayed cool (Previous trans C6) If i run 30 miles down the freeway it blows the trans fluid out the dipstick..if i just run it in town it turns the fluid brown. after a short time say 150-200 miles.
I forgot the spacer plate between the block and transmission
could this be causing the problem ?
maybe the convertor is being pushed into the pump ?
it shifts great no slipping just gets hot
thanks for the help

***no login***
***no login***

April 11th, 2012, 8:13 am #2

I doubt if the spacer plate is causing that problem. However, you will eventually have a more serious problem if you don't install the spacer plate - Your starter will BREAK YOUR CASE. I don't have a clue about the problem you asked about.

April 12th, 2012, 3:06 am #3

I also don't think the plate is your real issue. The plate is a "Starter Locater Plate" as defined by Ford. It sets the distance between the starter and the crankshaft. So it is really important.

The torque converter can move in or out more than the thickness of the plate so I don't see that causing an issue. Did the previous tranny fail from overheating or just "old age"? Maybe the cooler isn't up to the job or it's not in the airflow???

Are the cooler lines plumbed into the radiator cooler? I like to go into that first and then into an auxillary cooler. Some guys don't like to use the radiator cooler but I do..... It's your car so you get to decide which way to go.

April 12th, 2012, 3:32 am #4

The previous trans was just old No issues at all
it stayed cool with a much smaller cooler.
the only difference is a new trans and torque convertor
1800 stall same as he old one.
Now i have a Much larger cooler
Cooler is Not running through the radiator.
I do remember having help with the trans install and the buddy that accually bolted it up did not have the convertor seated and the trans did not pull tight
by the time i got home from work to see the problem i unbolted the trans and seated the convertor.
there is NO issues with the cooler
No issues with slipping
I am still thinking the pump
it has a deep pan (B&M) with the extended pickup and a large B&M stacked plate cooler
it only seems to over heat when you drive it at 2500+ rpms for an extended lentgh of time

April 12th, 2012, 2:34 pm #5

I also don't think the plate is your real issue. The plate is a "Starter Locater Plate" as defined by Ford. It sets the distance between the starter and the crankshaft. So it is really important.

The torque converter can move in or out more than the thickness of the plate so I don't see that causing an issue. Did the previous tranny fail from overheating or just "old age"? Maybe the cooler isn't up to the job or it's not in the airflow???

Are the cooler lines plumbed into the radiator cooler? I like to go into that first and then into an auxillary cooler. Some guys don't like to use the radiator cooler but I do..... It's your car so you get to decide which way to go.
Guys something else this trans has always done is Bang very hard when engaging into gear. when going from neutral to drive or park to reverse it bangs
Very hard into gear not a Firm engagement but a Abrupt bang
what is the possibility of the pressure regulating valve in the pump being stuck ?
IS there a pressure test i could do for this before i pull the trans ?
again
thank you for the help

April 12th, 2012, 4:14 pm #6

The PR valve is in the valve body.... and it may not be stuck... it just may have a killer shift kit in it.

Put a pressure gauge on the mainline pressure tap to see what the actual pressure is.

Usually if the PR valve is stuck in a high pressure position.... it breaks the pump gears.

April 17th, 2012, 3:09 am #7

Guy i am having problems with a Small block C6
I purchased it New from TCi Super street fighter
it has overheated since the day I installed it.
I put a larger B&M plate cooler in front of the radiator and it still overheats
Originally i had just a small Aluminum Finned cooler in the frame and it stayed cool (Previous trans C6) If i run 30 miles down the freeway it blows the trans fluid out the dipstick..if i just run it in town it turns the fluid brown. after a short time say 150-200 miles.
I forgot the spacer plate between the block and transmission
could this be causing the problem ?
maybe the convertor is being pushed into the pump ?
it shifts great no slipping just gets hot
thanks for the help
Will the trans overheat if the oil level is way too full ?
i have a lokar dip stick and it seemed to take 16 quarts to fill the transmission.
will oil when overfull overheat enough to turn brown and even blow the dipstick out of the transcase ?
I have a feeling i need to pull the pan and check the dipstick level

lonnie

April 17th, 2012, 6:38 am #8

Overfill should not lead to overheating.

I would suspect something wrong with the torque convertor, or not enough cooler capacity.

With a high stall torque convertor you MUST use a good quality cooler with a fairly large capacity.

The only other thing that can cause overheating is slippage (clutch or band) within the trans itself. But that would also be evidenced by drivability issues and get worse over time until the trans eventually would just quit working altogether.

My bet is, there is something seriously wrong with the torque convertor for the oil to get that discolored and burnt so quickly.

April 18th, 2012, 1:38 pm #9

Will the trans overheat if the oil level is way too full ?
i have a lokar dip stick and it seemed to take 16 quarts to fill the transmission.
will oil when overfull overheat enough to turn brown and even blow the dipstick out of the transcase ?
I have a feeling i need to pull the pan and check the dipstick level

lonnie
Lets digest the overfilling.

16 quarts are far too much for a C6.

A high level will cause the fluid to aerate.

The pump will pickup fluid and air which could cause excess turbulence in the convertor.

The running level is even with the pan/case junction.
Run the stick down the outside of the tube and mark that level.

April 18th, 2012, 6:31 pm #10

P'raps I should have said that "slightly" overfull will not hurt anything, or cause overheating.

If the oil is aerating from waaay overfull, and the pump is sucking aerated fluid... then the trans "should" exhibit other symptoms, such as slipping.

I could be wrong.... I've been wrong before....