Large Case FOM Questions

Large Case FOM Questions

July 2nd, 2012, 11:38 pm #1

Hi,

Been searching the archives and haven't either found the answer or haven't searched right...

So I have some questions about a Large Case FOM aka a Lincoln Turbo Drive. I have a 60 Premiere and te trans in it is shot (Due to coolant contamination... fixed that problem but the damage is done).

Over the weekend I came across a very low mileage trans out of a '59 Lincoln, I haven't torn into it yet, but assuming I did some basic checks and found nothing in the pan that was scary, short of rebuilding it, do ya think it might be useable after sitting since 1969?

But my main question is, will this be a direct swap into my 60?

Thanks in advance!

Bill
Last edited by rld14 on July 2nd, 2012, 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 3rd, 2012, 12:11 am #2

Hi Bill.

That transmission was used from 1958 - 1965 with several variations.

The big one is the output shaft.
Some had a conventional spline, some had an odd ball looking thing with 3 huge splines.

Chances are good it will be a bolt in. Pay attention to linkages etc.

By any chance does the 59 have a push button cable control linkage? If so it won't fit.

One other question. Why not rebuild what you already have? You will replace clutches anyway.

July 3rd, 2012, 12:49 am #3

Thanks Stuart!

I should have clarified, on my original trans the housing has a crack near the rear servo, so the case is basically junk.

It actually shifted perfectly before coolant got into it, but now once it heats up it slips badly..

So the trans that I have is a low miler, and, well, for $50 I figure it's worth trying a basic service on it, slapping it in the car and seeing what happens. Worst case I'm gambling a couple of hundred bucks and I need to have it rebuilt anyhow.

I'm just worried that sitting for all of those years (With fluid in it) might have caused damage. The fluid that I did see is nice and red and not burnt.
Last edited by rld14 on July 3rd, 2012, 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

July 3rd, 2012, 4:21 am #4

Bill only one way to find out.

As for the cracked case I repaired lots of them and never had one break again.

If the fluid looks good go for it.

There is a repair kit for this. Different than my method but still works.
Last edited by stuart40a on July 3rd, 2012, 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

***no login***
***no login***

July 3rd, 2012, 6:47 am #5

Or you can buy a case that is good.