C6 won't shift out of passing gear

C6 won't shift out of passing gear

June 13th, 2012, 11:23 am #1

Guys,
I've got a C6 transmission I need some advice about. It is the wide ratio, with shift kit from Jay Broader. When I have my foot to the floor it won't shift out of passing gear. If I let up just a little, it will go ahead and shift as it should. The only adjustment I've made myself is to turn the screw in the modulator counter clockwise to give me earlier shifts between normal gear changes and it also eliminates the jerk your neck takes when shifting. Why would it not come out of passing gear under full throttle and work flawlessly by just lifting your foot a smidgen. Jim

June 13th, 2012, 3:49 pm #2

You can try backing the kd rod off a bit.

June 14th, 2012, 4:02 pm #3

OK, I did that. I set the Kick Down rod to 1/2 it's travel when the gas pedal is to the floor with wide open throttle. I'll see how that works today. Jim

June 14th, 2012, 9:02 pm #4

OK, that didn't work. 1/2 kick down rod travel won't let it go into passing gear. I restored it to the original position so it would work. I don't understand it. When I first got the car someone had sandblasted the accerator bell crank and the passing gear kickdown lever was stuck. No matter what you did it wouldn't come out of 2nd gear. I took it out on the interstate and let held the gas pedal down. It finally shifted at 85mph. That was with the COM transmission. So, I'd think the C6 would be the same way. There's got to be a point it would come out of 2nd gear, but it don't. Jim

June 14th, 2012, 11:20 pm #5

Stuart said a back it off a bit ,not a whole bunch!
Frank

June 14th, 2012, 11:28 pm #6

OK, that didn't work. 1/2 kick down rod travel won't let it go into passing gear. I restored it to the original position so it would work. I don't understand it. When I first got the car someone had sandblasted the accerator bell crank and the passing gear kickdown lever was stuck. No matter what you did it wouldn't come out of 2nd gear. I took it out on the interstate and let held the gas pedal down. It finally shifted at 85mph. That was with the COM transmission. So, I'd think the C6 would be the same way. There's got to be a point it would come out of 2nd gear, but it don't. Jim
Jay Broader called me and talked for a while about this problem. He wanted to send me a new governor. I would have had to take the tailshaft off the transmission to change it. I don't have any leaks, it works great other than the passing gear thing so I declined his offer. I ain't touching it. I'd rather shift it myself than take a chance of it popping back into 2nd gear doing over a 100mph. When racing my buddy the other day we were over 100 mph and I was still in 2nd. Problem was I needed third gear around 90 mph. Jay said the only way to fix it with reliability was to change the governor. Thanks for the responces guys. Jim PS When Jay built the transmission for me he installed the parts to make a drag racer out of the car. I went to a higher rear gear and lower rpm stall converter later to turn it into a show/cruiser car that got gas mileage. It's my fault it's got the wrong governor for the application.
Last edited by Fifty7Fairlane on June 14th, 2012, 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 15th, 2012, 1:25 am #7

Jim back it off a turn at a time.

June 15th, 2012, 1:54 am #8

Stuart,
By golly with the determination you're showing in helping me it's apparent to me you know something that I don't or have seen this problem before. I will hook it back up and try what you're saying tomorrow. Thank you, Jim

***no login***
***no login***

June 17th, 2012, 3:55 am #9

Stuart knows damn near everything-

June 17th, 2012, 12:00 pm #10

Who is that masked man?