c6 no reverse

c6 no reverse

johnson4391
johnson4391

October 2nd, 2004, 12:26 am #1

i rebuilt a c6, when i installed it in the car, the car will not roll back wards. you can put the shifter in any position and it will not roll

any ideas - this was my firts attempt to building a transmission

the tranny also has a transo go shift kit installed as well

thanks in advance

johnson

allenman
allenman

October 2nd, 2004, 3:21 am #2

Does the car roll forwards?

johnson4391
johnson4391

October 2nd, 2004, 3:28 am #3

i can roll turn the drive shaft so the wheels roll forward - its like this in all gears except park

October 2nd, 2004, 12:32 pm #4

i rebuilt a c6, when i installed it in the car, the car will not roll back wards. you can put the shifter in any position and it will not roll

any ideas - this was my firts attempt to building a transmission

the tranny also has a transo go shift kit installed as well

thanks in advance

johnson
Give a bit more information please.
How much fluid was installed?
Is the engine running properly?
How did you install the convertor?
What happens when a forward gear is selected?

johnson4391
johnson4391

October 2nd, 2004, 1:20 pm #5

The motor is running fine, trans full of fluid.Car off, you can roll the car ahead in r-n-d but you can not push it backwards. Car running, goes ahead in drive, but in R the trans just loads up. Anyidea what we done wrong?

October 2nd, 2004, 3:16 pm #6

What comes to mind is a problem with the one-way clutch. Now I may be way off on this but that is the only piece that I know of that prohibits freewheeling in one direction. I really don't know if it could have been installed backwards? Random thoughts...

Did you do any sort of verification of the tranny as it was being built? That is to say did you attempt to rotate the input and output shafts to test for binding?

With what you're describing my only suggestion is to pull it back out and start a very careful teardown looking for what's binding.

October 3rd, 2004, 2:20 am #7

The motor is running fine, trans full of fluid.Car off, you can roll the car ahead in r-n-d but you can not push it backwards. Car running, goes ahead in drive, but in R the trans just loads up. Anyidea what we done wrong?
Something was assembled improperly.
Bite the bullet and yank the sucker.

johnson4391
johnson4391

October 3rd, 2004, 4:52 am #8

well after calling a few shops - one shop told me to check the 3rd gear band, as he thought it may be to tight

i backed off the adjusting nut a bit and every thing workes perfect - well i have reverse now and first.... gonna try and get a road test tomorrow

thanks for the help

October 3rd, 2004, 9:55 am #9

That's strange because there is no such thing as a third gear band.
Howeve.r
Let's clarify stuff here.
If the intermediate band is cranked down and not backed off the transmission will be in 2nd. gear.
Even with the engine off the band will still be applied and the over run clutch will be effective.
When you are at a stop light headed uphill and you don't have your brakes applied quite often the vehicle will roll backwards if the engine idle isn't fast enough.
You then shift into 2 position and the backward motion stops.
This is what is happening with this vehicle.
The band is applied, the O/R clutch is effective and no backwards motion is possible.
He has loosened the band and it works better.
Personally I'd stay away from the transmission shop that said the 3rd. gear band was too tight.
Last edited by stuarta on October 3rd, 2004, 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 3rd, 2004, 3:03 pm #10

"well after calling a few shops - one shop told me to check the 3rd gear band, as he thought it may be to tight"

I hope your not taking your tranny there. There is no 3rd band, its a clutch pack.
To have rev you need the direct and low rev clutchs applied. The low sprag is held stationary by the LR clucth so thats not the problem. I suspect you have a valve in the valvebody backwards