c6 help!!!

c6 help!!!

john
john

December 5th, 2009, 11:07 pm #1

I have a 1969 c6 that sat in its donor car for years.I filled it with merkur V oil.The cooler lines are new(changed to 5/16 from 3/8) and a new radiator too. I put in a B&M shift kit. In the middle of where the instructions were telling to remove the springs and check balls, it read "Do not lose the 3-2 downshift valve retainer" I took this as take it out too but dont lose it...WRONG! the valve popped over without me noticing and later while looking for directions to put it back in , I realized there arent any. The retainer has a half circle cut out in one corner so I guessed that this fits into the groove that is cut near the end of the valve to hold it in place. I got the vehicle started and ran it for very short periods of time(5-10 min) while trying to fix another problem. I then ran it for about a an hour and a half..the vehicle would surge even though it was in park. I felt the tranny and it was extremely hot..I shut it off.
Now did I assemble it wrong and that is whats causing the trans to try to drive while in park and create heat or did I assemble it correct and there is something else wrong with trans?

December 6th, 2009, 6:22 pm #2

...on a limb over on the HOTRODDERS.com forum and recommended that he try looking for some help over here. I certainly can't address his problem, but I sure shot my mouth off over there - bragging about BADSHOE and Stuart Anderson!!

texastomeh

Mac
Mac

December 9th, 2009, 4:15 pm #3

Did you solve this problem yet?
Mac

john
john

December 10th, 2009, 2:03 am #4

no..either not enough interest or nobody knows...I kinda lean towards the first..

john
john

December 10th, 2009, 2:10 am #5

I have a 1969 c6 that sat in its donor car for years.I filled it with merkur V oil.The cooler lines are new(changed to 5/16 from 3/8) and a new radiator too. I put in a B&M shift kit. In the middle of where the instructions were telling to remove the springs and check balls, it read "Do not lose the 3-2 downshift valve retainer" I took this as take it out too but dont lose it...WRONG! the valve popped over without me noticing and later while looking for directions to put it back in , I realized there arent any. The retainer has a half circle cut out in one corner so I guessed that this fits into the groove that is cut near the end of the valve to hold it in place. I got the vehicle started and ran it for very short periods of time(5-10 min) while trying to fix another problem. I then ran it for about a an hour and a half..the vehicle would surge even though it was in park. I felt the tranny and it was extremely hot..I shut it off.
Now did I assemble it wrong and that is whats causing the trans to try to drive while in park and create heat or did I assemble it correct and there is something else wrong with trans?
when I say I ran it..means it was idling not driving it around..this is a rolling chassis with all the drive train in it...no body etc.
the smaller cooler lines were because parts store only had 5/16 lines to 1/8 pipe adapters(to go into new radiators 1/8 pipe ports)

Nathan
Nathan

December 10th, 2009, 6:01 am #6

no..either not enough interest or nobody knows...I kinda lean towards the first..
...I think that folks are on vacation etc. It has been quieter here in the last week so than in the previous month. Sorry that I can't help - I am a newb who came here for help getting through my first rebuild (which I am in the middle of right now). I'd love to help but I'd be just speculating.

December 10th, 2009, 6:27 am #7

...but I looked over the docs for the shift-kit that I am putting in and it shows the clip engaging in the narrow groove in the plug between the two valves. In other words - working from the back of the channel you have a spring, then a longish valve then a short plug with a narrow groove in it... it is in this groove that the clip engages. On top of this plug sits another spring and another valve. I hope this helps... If you need I can try to photograph my doc and post the picture - let me know...

As to the broader symptom - it sure sounds like you have something funky happening with things engaging in conflict. Lots of heat and inconsistant output - makes me GUESS (remember - I am really a newb here - and this is PURE SPECULATION) that you either have something not fully engaging (clutches slipping) or two gearset both engaging in the wrong manner and working against eachother.

john
john

December 10th, 2009, 2:13 pm #8

yes i put the flat plate retainer back in with it in the groove..and I am guessing too that the tranny seems to be trying to go and stay still at the same time..it looks like I will have to pull it out again and open it up to recheck the valvebody to make sure I put the B&M shift parts in corecctly and help you can send would be appreciated..

December 10th, 2009, 3:22 pm #9

...what is the casting/id number on your valve body? I found that I have a '66 case and it turns out that the '66 valve bodies were unique as well and from what I have read would not operate well with the standard aftermarket shift kit mods. Like I said - just grasping - but one more thing that you can check...

Mac
Mac

December 10th, 2009, 5:29 pm #10

Need some more info. Do you have neutral? Did you check out the other gears. Are the cooler lines hot. Can you find another valve baoy that nobody has screwed with?
Mac