91 7.3 with C-6 problem

91 7.3 with C-6 problem

August 7th, 2012, 12:56 pm #1

I have low gear, second (if I move shifter from drive to second). and can get it to fall into drive if I am real easy on in. acts like its trying to shift down if you hit the accelerator, but doesn't land in any gear just freewheels. Doesnt seem like it is slipping just not connecting at all. I did have an overheating problem 6 months ago but fixed that. Trans was hesitating when you put it in reverse so I also changed tranny fluid and filter (6 mos. ago) and filter was full of trash (almost plugged) didn't really notice much difference after fluid change.
From what I'm reading I have come to the right place In the event the trans needs a rebuild is there an AOD trans that will bolt up to the 7.3 diesel (non turbo)
Thanks for any advice,
Dave

August 7th, 2012, 1:51 pm #2

If the filter was almost plugged the transmission is ready for PB&J because it is toast.

No AOD is a direct bolt in.

August 7th, 2012, 2:10 pm #3

I have low gear, second (if I move shifter from drive to second). and can get it to fall into drive if I am real easy on in. acts like its trying to shift down if you hit the accelerator, but doesn't land in any gear just freewheels. Doesnt seem like it is slipping just not connecting at all. I did have an overheating problem 6 months ago but fixed that. Trans was hesitating when you put it in reverse so I also changed tranny fluid and filter (6 mos. ago) and filter was full of trash (almost plugged) didn't really notice much difference after fluid change.
From what I'm reading I have come to the right place In the event the trans needs a rebuild is there an AOD trans that will bolt up to the 7.3 diesel (non turbo)
Thanks for any advice,
Dave
Thanks Stuart I was getting hungry anyways.
I have rebuilt a turbo 350 about 20 years ago is the c-6 similar?

August 7th, 2012, 3:01 pm #4

Similar in a few items. Internals are larger but it is a good transmission to build.

Go for it. If you get stuck ask here for help.

Take pics as each item is removed.
Last edited by stuart40a on August 7th, 2012, 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 11th, 2012, 11:54 pm #5

Just another thought to add...
Make sure the VRV is set properly. A c6 will never work right in a diesel without it set properly.