4R70W or AOD....for carbureted, non ECU builds.

4R70W or AOD....for carbureted, non ECU builds.

April 15th, 2010, 12:56 am #1

Sorry for the barrage of questions, but I'm still trying to make up my mind on which tranny to go with.

I have a small block early {1966} C6 that I know how to build, but it doesn't have the much needed overdrive.

I'm very interested in the AOD, or 4R70W. From what I have read the 4R has to have a conversion to work with a non ECU vehicle, is that all I would have to get?

It seems that the 4R is a better choice since it has most of the upgrades already done which would save me some $$$.

I have found a company that most here already know about that has the conversion for the 4R, but I don't know if I have to buy just the wiring, or the wiring plus the controller which is in this link.

http://www.becontrols.com/products/tcs.htm

It called a Baumannator TCS, and its pricey.

Lastly this is going in a 65 Mustang with a 302. If I do go with a 4R what donor vehicle do I need to be looking for that has the correct transmission?

Thanks.

Silverfox
Silverfox

April 15th, 2010, 2:15 pm #2

4R does require a stand alone controller much like the becontrols.com unit.
Or Transgo offers a AODE-3 kit for complete manual control - no auto. Or there are other off the shelf bolt in manual valve bodies. I have use the TCS from BE, and I highly encourage you to get the harness from them. There are other companies making this box as well.

As for AOD, don't discount it, it can handle the same power as a 4R, but yes requires more work/money/effort to get it up to par with the 4R. However you do not need a box to control it

April 15th, 2010, 5:46 pm #3

Sorry for being so thick, and thanks for your reply.......