What Ya'll Have Reduced Me To, Bumped for PR

What Ya'll Have Reduced Me To, Bumped for PR

February 19th, 2008, 5:19 pm #1

On our recent rock cruise, the publicist came by our breakfast table with a camera, wanting pictures for the web site. My automatic response when I saw the camera was to lean back so my toast could be properly photographed!
Last edited by nsholld on February 23rd, 2008, 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 19th, 2008, 5:30 pm #2

February 19th, 2008, 5:41 pm #3

The toast was much more attractive than my early-morning bad-hair-day self!

February 20th, 2008, 3:38 am #4

On our recent rock cruise, the publicist came by our breakfast table with a camera, wanting pictures for the web site. My automatic response when I saw the camera was to lean back so my toast could be properly photographed!
and did you get to eat anything?

February 20th, 2008, 4:59 am #5

A rock band we like booked a portion of that Carnival cruise that goes 4 days, with a one-day stop in Cozumel. Couldn't have cared less about Cozumel (although the submarine ride along the barrier reef was terrific), but there were only about 150 people at the concerts. The band also brought in some spectacular guitar players from elsewhere (one who had played with the Flying Burritos and the Grateful Dead). Besides nightly concerts there were workshops and round table discussions during the day. We also had access to all the food and entertainment that the other cruise guests enjoyed.

Entrees at dinner for me over the 4 evenings:
filet mignon, lobster and shrimp, mahi mahi with a light white sauce and finely cut, almost shredded raw veggies (surprisingly delicious), and mixed seafood (fish, shrimp, calimari--the last very light and tender and tasty). Engineer chose chilled fruit soups (strawberry and mango) on two evenings as his appetizer. He said that they were very tasty, but it felt to him as if he were eating melted ice cream with a spoon. The salads were the stars at lunch, especially chilled ratatouille and one consisting mainly of shredded beets and turnips. Breakfasts were more mundane, which was fine. There was the abundance of food for which cruises are famous, but part of that abundance were many choices for those of us who tried to eat as healthily as possible. It one overindulged it was because it was a conscious choice, and not because there weren't healthy options.

One couple at our table celebrated a 30-something anniversary on our last evening. They met when she was hitchhiking and he picked her up, all those years ago. As a surprise, he ordered a special cake, mostly chocolate, and fantastically delicious. There were two candles, and a patch of white on top, on which where written the following words: "Hey, Lady! Do you need a ride?" The other two couples at our table were also excellent company. We were most fortunate.
Last edited by nsholld on February 20th, 2008, 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 23rd, 2008, 6:12 pm #6

nm

February 23rd, 2008, 6:27 pm #7

What I will never forget:
That Engineer enjoyed the experience with me.
Great time with Schatze, who was kind enough to allow us to use their driveway, and give us rides to the dock and back.
The Trade Mart and St. Louis Cathedral from the river, silhouetted in the afternoon sun.
Chalmette battlefield, see above.
The color of the Gulf when we got out there.
Sunrise over the water from the balcony.
Moonlight on the water from the balcony.
The coral reef: sponges, several kinds of coral, fish at 100' below the surface. Being able to see the trench dropping off from the reef.
The band and the fantastic guitarists they brought with them. There were only about 150 people, and the intimate atmosphere really added to the experience. And they adjusted the volume so that what's left of our hearing remained intact.
The food was tasty overall, and there was a surprising variety of fresh fruits and veggies available. If anyone overdid it was because they chose to, not because healthy alternatives were not available.
Food was geared toward middle America, but overall the quality and variety were good.
Our first experience of this kind. We didn't need dramimine, although we packed some. Sea legs not noticeable until we got back to L.C., and felt them for about 2 days afterward.
Slot machines looser than I expected.
Tim (the poster, I think) did give a comedy show on this cruise, but we were tied up with the music.
Would repeat experience, but would also like for there to be some kind of theme: a band we liked like this one, a quilting cruise, history cruise, etc. I think Alaska would be a theme all to itself.

Can you tell I haven't been out much? Lots of travel up and down the East Coast, but this was totally new....

February 23rd, 2008, 9:21 pm #8

nm
I was on a plane for 8,000 hours during that thread.

That sounds so cool! Very different.

PaulaRat

February 23rd, 2008, 9:27 pm #9

What I will never forget:
That Engineer enjoyed the experience with me.
Great time with Schatze, who was kind enough to allow us to use their driveway, and give us rides to the dock and back.
The Trade Mart and St. Louis Cathedral from the river, silhouetted in the afternoon sun.
Chalmette battlefield, see above.
The color of the Gulf when we got out there.
Sunrise over the water from the balcony.
Moonlight on the water from the balcony.
The coral reef: sponges, several kinds of coral, fish at 100' below the surface. Being able to see the trench dropping off from the reef.
The band and the fantastic guitarists they brought with them. There were only about 150 people, and the intimate atmosphere really added to the experience. And they adjusted the volume so that what's left of our hearing remained intact.
The food was tasty overall, and there was a surprising variety of fresh fruits and veggies available. If anyone overdid it was because they chose to, not because healthy alternatives were not available.
Food was geared toward middle America, but overall the quality and variety were good.
Our first experience of this kind. We didn't need dramimine, although we packed some. Sea legs not noticeable until we got back to L.C., and felt them for about 2 days afterward.
Slot machines looser than I expected.
Tim (the poster, I think) did give a comedy show on this cruise, but we were tied up with the music.
Would repeat experience, but would also like for there to be some kind of theme: a band we liked like this one, a quilting cruise, history cruise, etc. I think Alaska would be a theme all to itself.

Can you tell I haven't been out much? Lots of travel up and down the East Coast, but this was totally new....
Other than the ubiquitous "jazz" cruise and "singles" cruise, I didn't know such a thing existed on the high seas. Only 150 people - nice. I love those moments that I rarely get anywhere else but while traveling that are frozen in time. A sight, a smell, a sound - all emotion-filled.

One of the ones from this trip was walking into the Piazza Navona at night and hearing one of the street musicians singing "La Vie en Rose." She did a damn good Piaf!

PaulaRat

February 24th, 2008, 4:45 pm #10

The ship sailed with a full complement of cruisers, but they grouped the band cruisers together at dinner, and the performances were limited to the group of 150 in a smallish lounge. We could still enjoy all the other amenities and meet the other folks during the "off" times. We enjoyed that too, but I stand by my "theme" comment. If you want a sample of what turns me on, take a look at some of the cruises advertised in Smithsonian magazine....