Suggestions

Suggestions

March 17th, 2008, 3:24 pm #1

The man I spoke of who booked me to cater the party for the Herbie and Diana will be in NO for the Jazz fest. He will be staying on Bourbon Street. He wants suggestions as to where to go eat, drink and otherwise. I know his emphasis is on eating and drinking. I told him I would e mail him a list of places to go and places not to go (tourist traps).

Would yall mind helping me out here?

Thanks in advance

March 17th, 2008, 3:40 pm #2

Lots of people are raving over it. I haven't been back since it opened, but the reports are very good.

For breakfast in the Quarter, we like Eat on Dumaine. Your guy might be more into fun and funky atmosphere somewhere like Clover Grill or Petunia's or even Old Coffee Pot.

March 17th, 2008, 5:07 pm #3

The man I spoke of who booked me to cater the party for the Herbie and Diana will be in NO for the Jazz fest. He will be staying on Bourbon Street. He wants suggestions as to where to go eat, drink and otherwise. I know his emphasis is on eating and drinking. I told him I would e mail him a list of places to go and places not to go (tourist traps).

Thanks in advance
& I'll make a list.

Of course you know getting into a restaurant during Jazz Fest is not easy.

My personal suggestion is to eat AT Jazz Fest.
There are many vendors there who will have great food!
He can go out drinking later and maybe hear some more music. Snug Harbor comes to mind, as well as Donna's.

Restaurants:

Cuvee should be at the top of his list.

Does he want an old New Orleans experience such as Galatoire's (downstairs of course)?

I know folks like The Pelican Club (I personally don't- but I'm contrary).

Irene's might be another choice as well as Cafe Giovanni (again, I'd be contrary about this place too).

I would definitely recommend The Bistro at Maison de Ville. He absolutely must have reservations (everywhere - and should make them now!). Again, this place is not my thing, but I do think it would definitely be his thing.

I've heard Bayona is tired, but it has been quite sometime (preK) since I have been, so no first hand news there.

Other thoughts:

Restaurant August
La Boca

Muriel's might be fun for a drink in the bar, and a tour of the restaurant. I've heard mixed reviews about the food, but the building is something to appreciate.

This is all I came up with off the top of my head.
I'll have to think about this some more after a cup of coffee or two!

Maria, I am so happy for you!

Isabella
Last edited by Isabella..Maja on March 17th, 2008, 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 17th, 2008, 5:19 pm #4

Thanks in advance
We liked Yo Mama's burgers way better than Port of Call's, altho they weren't up to par in January. The regular B S spots for drinks are OK if you don't mind too many tourtists, but we like Harry's Corner (Dumaine at Chartres), Chart Room (Chartres at Bienville), Ol' Toone's Saloon (a real dive we really like near House of Blues), The Golden Lantern (a neighborhood gay bar way down Royal near the Mona Lisa, an Eye-talian reastaurant we like, too). And Frenchmen Street is much better than Bourbon for both bars and music, too.

And congratualtions, Maria, on your recent success!

March 17th, 2008, 5:25 pm #5

& I'll make a list.

Of course you know getting into a restaurant during Jazz Fest is not easy.

My personal suggestion is to eat AT Jazz Fest.
There are many vendors there who will have great food!
He can go out drinking later and maybe hear some more music. Snug Harbor comes to mind, as well as Donna's.

Restaurants:

Cuvee should be at the top of his list.

Does he want an old New Orleans experience such as Galatoire's (downstairs of course)?

I know folks like The Pelican Club (I personally don't- but I'm contrary).

Irene's might be another choice as well as Cafe Giovanni (again, I'd be contrary about this place too).

I would definitely recommend The Bistro at Maison de Ville. He absolutely must have reservations (everywhere - and should make them now!). Again, this place is not my thing, but I do think it would definitely be his thing.

I've heard Bayona is tired, but it has been quite sometime (preK) since I have been, so no first hand news there.

Other thoughts:

Restaurant August
La Boca

Muriel's might be fun for a drink in the bar, and a tour of the restaurant. I've heard mixed reviews about the food, but the building is something to appreciate.

This is all I came up with off the top of my head.
I'll have to think about this some more after a cup of coffee or two!

Maria, I am so happy for you!

Isabella
I was posting as you were, but you have some great white tablecloth spots, there. We agree on Pelican Club (it was awful the once we went) and with the "tired" Bayona. We went once after The Thing, and it was not up to its standard. I will add Stella! as one of my favorites in the Quarter.

March 17th, 2008, 5:31 pm #6

Add Stella! to the list!

Glad you came up with some places to imbibe!
What about Lafitte's? You know this is something I know nothing about!

March 17th, 2008, 9:07 pm #7

It's a favorite place, but only because it's where we met. It has changed hands and is a shadow of its former self. We still like it, and we were there in January, but it's even touristier and expensiver than ever. Still, for Bourbon Street, it's hard to beat.

March 17th, 2008, 9:31 pm #8

Thanks in advance
be looking for a frugal place to get good filling food for breakfast and lunch (don't know about dinner), he can try the Fleur de Lis Cafe at 307 Chartres (529-9641). Good rib-sticking breakfasts that will not break the bank. I hear the lunches are to dance for, too.

"May those who love us, love us;
And those that don't love us,
May God turn their hearts;
And if he doesn't turn their hearts,
May he turn their ankles,
So we'll know them by their limping."
-Old Irish Hex-

March 18th, 2008, 10:26 am #9

Thanks in advance
Since everyone has made good suggestions on where to go, I'll take the negative side.

Tell them not to go to Bubba Gump's and Ralph & Kaccoo's. Please.

The Alpine used to be decent for an inexpensive meal, but it has gone downhill, imo.

We had a bad experience at Red Fish Grill right before we left town. And I wasn't happy with Louisiana Pizza Kitchen, either.

PaulaRat
Last edited by PaulaRat on March 18th, 2008, 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 18th, 2008, 5:15 pm #10

I will add all of these places to a few suggestions of my own.

What about Mr. B's? is it still good for brunch?
Palace Cafe? Any John Besh places?

What about for poboys? gumbo? I assume LBTT will be a madhouse. I know it is close to JF.