One of the best "suppers" I've had in a while

One of the best "suppers" I've had in a while

March 27th, 2008, 11:40 pm #1

I normally don't overly enjoy meals I cook myself. By that I mean, not that they're not good, it's just that after spending the time cooking it, I'm tired of it. That's a poor explanation, but I don't really know how to describe it. I think maybe it's really that I don't enjoy cooking - it's more of a necessary evil, a chore.

But today, we had a half day at school, so this afternoon I cooked the most delicious pork loin in gravy in my handy-dandy pressure cooker, the only brown rice I've ever cooked that was just the right texture, big brown butterbeans, mustard greens with pepper sauce, yeast rolls and sweet tea. There was no fancy presentation, and I wouldn't call it dinner - it was supper - so good that it was comforting.

Does anybody understand my rambling?

March 27th, 2008, 11:52 pm #2

I find anything somebody makes for me is better than something I cooked. I don't even taste as I go, but after smelling it cook, it's not that wonderful surprise of flavor.

March 28th, 2008, 2:04 am #3

I normally don't overly enjoy meals I cook myself. By that I mean, not that they're not good, it's just that after spending the time cooking it, I'm tired of it. That's a poor explanation, but I don't really know how to describe it. I think maybe it's really that I don't enjoy cooking - it's more of a necessary evil, a chore.

But today, we had a half day at school, so this afternoon I cooked the most delicious pork loin in gravy in my handy-dandy pressure cooker, the only brown rice I've ever cooked that was just the right texture, big brown butterbeans, mustard greens with pepper sauce, yeast rolls and sweet tea. There was no fancy presentation, and I wouldn't call it dinner - it was supper - so good that it was comforting.

I'm probably going to skip dinner tonight.
Just one of those days.

I do wish I had about a gallon of iced tea tho.

March 28th, 2008, 3:31 am #4

Granny Latino, my Mama's Mama, was like that. She would cook all day and wouldn't eat anything she cooked when we all sat down to eat. Instead of that she would have a piece of pie and a cup of coffee. She claimed she had been eating all day (tasting, which was the way she cooked and passed on to me) and didn't want anymore.

March 28th, 2008, 3:48 am #5

I don't taste while cooking. It's a wonder anything I cook is fit to eat, but as the size of all in my household can attest, my cooking's not too shabby. My grandmother was a fabulous cook, and I don't ever remember seeing her taste, or if so, very, very seldom.

It burns my husband up that I don't taste while cooking, but once I start the process, I just don't want whatever it is. It's like in my subconscious I know I'll have to eat a plate of it in the end and eating it while I go would just be much too much. My husband's a good cook, taught me a lot when we married, and buddy, he tastes - all the way through!

March 28th, 2008, 5:05 am #6

I gotta savor it all! I have to taste the sausage, the cheese, the bacon, the tomatoes.......I usually have a glass of wine going at the same time. Cookin' is an adventure for me and I immerse myself in it.

March 28th, 2008, 11:28 am #7

I'm surprised by how many people don't, though.
Unfortunately, my appetite is not affected by my cooking. My mama is like that, though.

Glad you enjoyed your supper, IM. Sounds totally satisfying.

PaulaRat
Last edited by PaulaRat on March 28th, 2008, 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 28th, 2008, 1:11 pm #8

Lots of times I don't want to eat after cooking. Guess I'm tired of looking at the food.

We also had "supper" last night. Salty country ham fried in bacon fat, turnip greens, blackeye peas and cornbread. Yum.

VaPhil

March 28th, 2008, 3:30 pm #9

Phil, do you "soak" your country ham before cooking? I've heard that some folks soak their country ham to get rid of the saltiness. I don't.

March 28th, 2008, 4:29 pm #10

If I do a whole one yes I will soak it overnight . This was a small butt end that I had them slice about 1/4" thick. Great for breakfast.

VaPhil