How do you "fry off" tomato paste?

How do you "fry off" tomato paste?

March 5th, 2008, 12:11 am #1

I need help from you cooks of Eyetalian descent. I want to make a red gravy and in researching, I see references to "frying off" tomato paste. How the hell do you do that?

Anybody want to guide me in this adventure? How do you or your momminem make red gravy? Wes and I love spaghetti with meatballs, and I really need to learn how to make an authentic sauce.

March 5th, 2008, 1:14 am #2

You just kinda sauteed it for a few minutes.

March 5th, 2008, 2:00 am #3

I need help from you cooks of Eyetalian descent. I want to make a red gravy and in researching, I see references to "frying off" tomato paste. How the hell do you do that?

Anybody want to guide me in this adventure? How do you or your momminem make red gravy? Wes and I love spaghetti with meatballs, and I really need to learn how to make an authentic sauce.
My Momma (who doesn't have a drop of Italian but married one) always fries off her tomato paste in olive oil. She says this reduces the bite and bitterness. She fries the paste for at least a few minutes -- as long as five or so. She also includes tomato sauce in her red gravy.

Mr. Lake

New Orleans Past

March 5th, 2008, 2:05 am #4

Stir it in your skillet for a few minutes. My Granny used to say she was "browning it a little". That "fry off" B.S. came from Bobby Flay and his ilk on the foodie chef programs.

March 5th, 2008, 2:11 am #5

Big Mer has said "fry off" tomato sauce for as long as I can remember and that goes back way before Bobby Flay to practically before we had local TV.

Mr. Lake

New Orleans Past

March 5th, 2008, 2:14 am #6

I never heard of the term before I got interested in the Food Network! And it really irritated me when Flay would use it half a dozen times on his shows! Sorry, no dis intended to Big Mer!

March 5th, 2008, 2:16 am #7

but in New Orleans we "fry off" a lot of stuff so it's probably a local thing.

Mr. Lake

New Orleans Past

March 5th, 2008, 2:29 am #8

Here's my method, which is a little of my grandparents (Sicilian) and my own with a twist of the great Chef Paul.

Sautee your onions, carrots and celery in good olive oil. After it's very soft, add some tomato paste and a little more olive oil. At this point it will get very dry and lumpy. Add a tablespoon of sugar. I used to add white sugar but after watching my favorite Cajun Chef Paul Prudhomme (we're not worthy...i.e. Wayne's World) I started using dark brown sugar. Cook for a little while and then deglaze with red wine or beef broth and finally add the tomato sauce. The sugar kills the tomato acid and adds a very nice complexity.

Oops...I forgot the garlic..you know where it goes.....

EAC

March 5th, 2008, 4:05 am #9

I don't think I used enough olive oil as the paste started to "overbrown" on the bottom of the skillet. I had to start before anybody posted a response, so I didn't follow exactly anyone's recipe. I used tomato puree as I did not have any tomato sauce. That's something I don't buy as I normally buy puree, stewed or diced tomatoes.

I did use sugar, but I wish I had seen EAC's suggestion of brown sugar because I can see where that would be superior to white. Oh, well, there's always next time. Of course, next time might be a while off as I made enough for Cox's army so after a couple of ovahs, we will have had enough spaghetti and meatballs for a bit.

March 5th, 2008, 4:02 pm #10

but in New Orleans we "fry off" a lot of stuff so it's probably a local thing.

Mr. Lake

New Orleans Past
"fried off" everything. I know that did not originate from Flay.