Do you cook corned beef?

Do you cook corned beef?

January 9th, 2008, 4:43 am #1

We had corned beef at the track on NYE and although not as good as last year (mostly due to a poor waiter who didn't bring it out in a timely fashion), it was a food that really hit the spot. I have been thinking about having it again ever since, so when I stopped by the grocery yesterday after school, I picked up a packaged one and cooked it tonight. Those boogers take a long time to cook - 3.5 hours! In the liquid, I cooked some halved new potatoes and cut up cabbage.

Sadly, I didn't think it was that great. Didn't seem as seasoned as at the track and even after all that cooking, I would not describe it as "fork tender" as the label said it would be.

Any advice?

January 9th, 2008, 4:50 am #2

how did you cook it? On the stove in liquid or in the oven?

January 9th, 2008, 4:55 am #3

started the corned beef on the stove with water and added black peppercorns, bay leaf, cloves and sometimes allspice berries.

After the water is boiling, I transfer it to the oven tightly covered and cook it on about 300 degrees for at least 4 hours.

January 9th, 2008, 5:11 am #4

And I thought boiling it on top of the stove for three and a half was bad! As far as the seasoning, it came with a seasoning packet in which I could identify peppercorns, mustard seed and a bay leaf. Not sure what other magical powders were in it.

January 9th, 2008, 12:10 pm #5

We had corned beef at the track on NYE and although not as good as last year (mostly due to a poor waiter who didn't bring it out in a timely fashion), it was a food that really hit the spot. I have been thinking about having it again ever since, so when I stopped by the grocery yesterday after school, I picked up a packaged one and cooked it tonight. Those boogers take a long time to cook - 3.5 hours! In the liquid, I cooked some halved new potatoes and cut up cabbage.

Sadly, I didn't think it was that great. Didn't seem as seasoned as at the track and even after all that cooking, I would not describe it as "fork tender" as the label said it would be.

Any advice?
If he can remember, I'll ask him to post his secrets. It's wonderfully spiced...

PaulaRat

January 9th, 2008, 12:39 pm #6

Any advice?
I felt like eating corned beef one Sunday and of course had no idea how to cook it, so I bought one at the grocery, bought a few bags of coleslaw mix, threw the coleslaw in the crock pot, put the meat on top, sprinkled on the seasoning packet and let it rip all day Sunday while I fooled around the house. It was delicious.

January 9th, 2008, 3:29 pm #7

Any advice?
I caught at the St Pats parade on St Charles. Wonder what the airline people thought about that cabbage bomb lol. I love it, I always cook cornbread with it too. I cook the heck out of it til very tender. My son showed me something good. Take your brisket after cooked, fatside up, put on a handful of brown sugar and broil. I think its the way they do it in Ireland. Adds a little something. I also love horseradich sauce with it(mayo & fresh horseradish)

January 9th, 2008, 3:44 pm #8

Any advice?
here's a pic of one I cooked for St. Patrick's Day. I've got the recipe at home if you'd like. I know it had a bottle of Guiness in there.

January 9th, 2008, 6:02 pm #9

Did someone mention Guinness? Yes, Lolly, I'd love that recipe. I can break in my new crock pot from the Furys with that! As they say in the Guinness commercials, "BRILLIANT!"