rb to fj conversion

rb to fj conversion

February 13th, 2007, 11:30 am #1

does anybody know where i can get a rb25 gearbox modified to suit the fj20 cheaply? i live in penrith. thanks johnno

Anonymous
Anonymous

February 13th, 2007, 11:55 pm #2

putting a rb25 onto an fj cant be cheap no matter what you do

i just put one in mine and it cost about 1000 bucks to get installed

cant remember exactly but it was around that mark

and im in adelaide so i cant really help you

Anonymous
Anonymous

February 14th, 2007, 10:26 am #3

does anybody know where i can get a rb25 gearbox modified to suit the fj20 cheaply? i live in penrith. thanks johnno
thanks any way

Ben D
Ben D

February 14th, 2007, 11:00 am #4

This should cost you less than $10. You have to remove the RB25 DET bellhousing, bolt on a FJ20 engine plate and mark where the top two bolt holes dont quite line up to see what little needs to be done. Remove the engine plate. I then got some short lengths of alloy dowel as cutoffs from a machine shop ($0) and filed them to a slight taper to be a press fit (hammered them in actually) into the original top two bolt holes of the RB25 bellhousing. Then I filed them flush to the bellhousing flange surface with a hand file. Total cost so far, still $0 (my labour is free to me). Then I bolted on the FJ20 engine plate again and used it as a template to redrill the top two holes to the FJ20 pattern - diameter of drill bit to suit the bolts that are used to connect the engine to the gearbox. Put the RB25 DET bellhousing back onto the gearbox and your away.

No welding, just need a reasonable sized drill press to set the bellhousing down flat to redrill the holes accurately. Cost to me, $0, but I say $10 because you may have to buy a drill bit.

This simple adaptation has lasted more than 5 years now with no problems at all, many, many 9 and 10 sec runs down the quarter show the final result is sound from an engineering perspective.

Ben D
Ben D

February 14th, 2007, 9:56 pm #5

S**t, just read this again, did you say $1000 ! Man, thats half a GT BB turbo. Really guys, do it this way and spend your extra $1K on something that matters.

Anonymous
Anonymous

February 14th, 2007, 11:08 pm #6

what did you do to the Drive shaft?
is this RB25 transmission is going in to DR30 or 510?
Thanks!

Anonymous
Anonymous

February 15th, 2007, 12:16 am #7

you cant use the same tail shaft in a dr30

i had to get one made up but im guessing you didnt if it cost u 10 bucks to do

getting a new tail sharft aint cheap