GT3540 - the truth emerges (take 2)

Anonymous
Anonymous

August 7th, 2006, 9:10 am #21

Well I suppose this has been such an interest to me that I have researched many articles on 2L engines benefiting from the GT3540. More importantly, from what I have seen on this forum, a couple of you have dyno curves showing you that the 3540 is infact quite streetable on the FJ20.

However, the information was always quite ambiguous and the only person I have seen with a 3540 take it to the track is the legend himself, Ben Diggles. This being a drag did not help me in the bid to find out whether the 3540 was infact streetable even though Ben did say on one of his posts, that it was so.

The best way ofcourse was to upgrade to one myself. So what is the difference?

Having experienced the stock T03 at first followed by the GT3076R, I had a good background of turbos to compare against with my new 3540.

The T03 was always on boost, and very punchy. The GT3076R was spin all first 2 gears and then hold on after that however came on 1000rpm easily after the T03.

The GT3540 is NOT significantly different in response and i would say its better. It comes on boost earlier but full boost at the same time as my old 3076. This was very surprising.

The best thing is that I make far more power!!!!!!!!! No increase in lag and more power is awesome. Never did I spin third gear before just by planting it (ie not reving and dumping clutch) but now this thing gets sideways from 120kmph where I back off because it begins to go past my 18 psi setting which I had on the old turbo. I think the 1.02 housing maybe in the running because this hits too hard.

So there you have it. The GT3540 in my experience is by fast the best street turbo you can have if you want power. Its no laggier than a GT3076 and has much much more power. Time for a run to the dyno but my gearbox is now dead :S

In a few months when I get back from the USA, I will post back to back dyno graphs of my three turbos. One thing is for sure, this is the best upgrade I have ever done. Dam its fast!!!!!!!!!!!!
boosted frog dont you just hate that when you state that something doesnt exist then someone proves you wrong !!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous
Anonymous

August 7th, 2006, 10:15 am #22

Well I suppose this has been such an interest to me that I have researched many articles on 2L engines benefiting from the GT3540. More importantly, from what I have seen on this forum, a couple of you have dyno curves showing you that the 3540 is infact quite streetable on the FJ20.

However, the information was always quite ambiguous and the only person I have seen with a 3540 take it to the track is the legend himself, Ben Diggles. This being a drag did not help me in the bid to find out whether the 3540 was infact streetable even though Ben did say on one of his posts, that it was so.

Having experienced the stock T03 at first followed by the GT3076R, I had a good background of turbos to compare against with my new 3540.

The T03 was always on boost, and very punchy. The GT3076R was spin all first 2 gears and then hold on after that however came on 1000rpm easily after the T03.

The GT3540 is NOT significantly different in response and i would say its better. It comes on boost earlier but full boost at the same time as my old 3076. This was very surprising.

The best thing is that I make far more power!!!!!!!!! No increase in lag and more power is awesome. Never did I spin third gear before just by planting it (ie not reving and dumping clutch) but now this thing gets sideways from 120kmph where I back off because it begins to go past my 18 psi setting which I had on the old turbo. I think the 1.02 housing maybe in the running because this hits too hard.

So there you have it. The GT3540 in my experience is by fast the best street turbo you can have if you want power. Its no laggier than a GT3076 and has much much more power. Time for a run to the dyno but my gearbox is now dead :S

In a few months when I get back from the USA, I will post back to back dyno graphs of my three turbos. One thing is for sure, this is the best upgrade I have ever done. Dam its fast!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yes GT3571 most certainly does exist though its a GT bush bearing non water cooled turbo as OEM for trucks . It uses the same 84 trim UHP family turbine as the GT3582R in plain shaft with from memory a 71mm 52 trim 6/12 blade BCI-18 compressor . Comp cover is .50AR ratio TO4E . It's not really suitable for a petrol 2L four , better off running a real GT3071R if you want that compressor family .

Boosted frog
Boosted frog

August 7th, 2006, 3:30 pm #23

My bad, sorry s power, im not aware of anything non-ball bearing....soon itll be Im not aware of anything without an electric motor and variable vanes!!!!!

S-power
S-power

August 7th, 2006, 8:39 pm #24

He He thats okay..it sound like you got a god knowledge about turbo`s...;-)what is the price in AU for a turbo like this.. GT3540 ??

260DET
260DET

August 8th, 2006, 5:04 am #25

BB's are the only turbo to have anyway, nothing else matters

Boosted frog
Boosted frog

August 8th, 2006, 8:20 am #26

Thats it 260DET!!!!!!!!!!!!

S power, I have in fact very limited knowledge regarding turbos. What I do know is what I have learnt through forums such as NISSANSILVIA and SAU (skylinesaustralia). One person in particular has setup threads which resemble lecture notes, his name, fat bastard,.....**** I mean, Discopotatoe.

This person works secretly for garrett ( well i rekon) cause he knows more about turbos than anyone else. Be careful though, he loves the GT28RS!!!!!!!

The turbo GT3540R (aka GT35R or GT3582R) goes for $AUS1900 brand new with garrett warranty from an australian internet distributer (they also have a shop) called vpw. You should look up ATP turbo and youll find itll be cheaper there, only slightly, but you wont have to pay for freight like you would if you got it from aus (didnt know if thats what you wanted to do, but at least you know now).

Anonymous
Anonymous

August 8th, 2006, 8:51 am #27

how can you say bbs are the be all & end all depends on application

August 8th, 2006, 10:04 am #28

Hi Bosted frog... Im from denmark, so i have to pay for freight anyway.. he he ... But the only thing i want to be sure of is that i get the right turbo for my engine..And the Gt3540 82mm 56trim sounds like its perfect.. for this job..i just need pistons / rods / cluth / and i want to be sure that i get the right parts.. And they fit right on.. I dont no all these different companys who sell these parts.. Therefor i read hour after hour to get some good Knowledge about Diff / Gearbox / and engine parts...
S-power

Anonymous
Anonymous

August 8th, 2006, 10:08 am #29

boosted frog give the poor bugger the part number so he can find out prices in holland .

Anonymous
Anonymous

August 9th, 2006, 6:01 am #30

Yeah , c'mon fried frog show us ya form .