Information: This forum has been set to read only for archive purposes. The link to active FE forum is https://www.fordfe.com/index.php

1965 390 & C6 tranny

1965 390 & C6 tranny

slx

March 22nd, 2004, 11:11 pm #1

i have a 65 390 hook'd to a c6...problem ever since i put it together, when starting the car, it makes a god awful metal to metal sound but usually starts.

other times when trying to start it what happens is the bendix on the starter just jumps out and it sounds as though it's just spinning against the flexplate, not engaging...i can remove the starter, turn it to a different gear then it might start again or just spin against the flexplate.

i'm reasonably certain i have the correct flexplate and starter cause i've looked at 3 other new ones at different parts houses & they look identical to mine.

question is, is there possibly a differnce in the starters that i'm unaware of or would anyone have any suggestions on what might be causing my problem.

i'd all but marry anyone that help'd solve the issue.....thanx in advance guys for any suggestion you may have

March 23rd, 2004, 6:43 am #2

Did you put a spacer plate between the rear of the block and the front of the tranny. You need this to ensure the starter engages properly. You can find them on ebay or someone in the group might have one. That's my opinion.
Kent

March 23rd, 2004, 6:45 am #3

i have a 65 390 hook'd to a c6...problem ever since i put it together, when starting the car, it makes a god awful metal to metal sound but usually starts.

other times when trying to start it what happens is the bendix on the starter just jumps out and it sounds as though it's just spinning against the flexplate, not engaging...i can remove the starter, turn it to a different gear then it might start again or just spin against the flexplate.

i'm reasonably certain i have the correct flexplate and starter cause i've looked at 3 other new ones at different parts houses & they look identical to mine.

question is, is there possibly a differnce in the starters that i'm unaware of or would anyone have any suggestions on what might be causing my problem.

i'd all but marry anyone that help'd solve the issue.....thanx in advance guys for any suggestion you may have
Scroll down the list a tad bit and go to the new forum. There is much more activity and someone can probably help you fix this problem.
Kent

April 11th, 2004, 3:59 am #4

the tooth count changed and you must use the correct 66 and newer style flywheel with a C6 because the 65 and older starter will not fit in there. also note that if you swapped in a C6 you do need to add the plate between the block and trans as the other post noted. 65 and older didn't have the plate but all C6's need it. hawkrod

Hawkrod

39 Ford Deluxe Coupe
59 Tbird 430
60 Lincoln Premier
(2)62 Tbirds
(3)68 Cougar XR7-G's
69 Cougar 428CJ 4 speed
77 1/2 Ford F250 4X4 w/460 swap
86 SVO mustang

<font size=4> look at my cars past and present at superford! </font>

May 7th, 2004, 1:58 am #5

Did you make sure that the drain plugs on the converter lined up with the holes in the fly wheel. If not it will warp the flywheel and can cause the problem you are having.