Whatever happened to this Club

Whatever happened to this Club

Paddlers
Paddlers

August 5th, 2008, 1:56 pm #1

What happened to the Wongs DragonSlayers ... They used to be the most dominant club in Quebec and Ontario...Is the club still around ?? or have they gone the way of the dinosaur like MCC, Madawaska, X-pads

Anonymous
Anonymous

August 5th, 2008, 2:24 pm #2

What happened to the Wongs DragonSlayers ... They used to be the most dominant club in Quebec and Ontario...Is the club still around ?? or have they gone the way of the dinosaur like MCC, Madawaska, X-pads

Let me see if I have this correct...

MCC - Missassauga Canoe Club - nope haven't gone away just paddling with various teams includling sprint programs
Madawaska - Rideau Canoe Club and veterens sprint paddlers - great bunch of folks -
X-pad - PDBC - and high schoolers! Now on various teams

Anonymous
Anonymous

August 5th, 2008, 4:10 pm #3

Last I heard, they disbanded years ago. Bad politics I gather

Paddler 11
Paddler 11

August 5th, 2008, 5:26 pm #4

Disabled years ago?? Weren't they at Montreal last year??

Anonymous
Anonymous

August 5th, 2008, 5:29 pm #5

Dragonslayers were never the MOST dominant. Very good at best.

Anonymous
Anonymous

August 5th, 2008, 5:58 pm #6

No disband. Wong's were in both Lachine and Ottawa this year, but are not the force they once were. Still one of the better Montreal teams but Verdun is clearly now the top.

The club went from four boats in 2005 - Dragonslayers, Immortal Dragons, Chargers, Crusaders - down to one or maybe two this year.

Looks like the webiste died in 2005 as well.
http://www.wongdbc.com/

If you must know...
If you must know...

August 6th, 2008, 12:42 am #7

The Wongs Dragonslayers ruled in their prime. MCC was the only team to beat them in the NCCCC (can't remember the year) Won the race off to go to the Worlds in Rome by a mile, where they won the bronze after Madawaska's silver and can't remember who's gold (italy I think, but they must have been doped up <sic>)

They came, they ruled and they retired. Mayfair took over and they reign supreme. Until the next team takes over. End of story. Slayers are presently getting fat, getting laid and talking about the good old days. Rumour has it that the old team is planning a reunion and considering taking over the curling world...wait a minute, isn't Maplebear doing that now? Damn, back to getting fat...

There is life after d-boat folks, and it's pretty nice. Lily I love you. Ok you too Gordon:)))

Anonymous
Anonymous

August 6th, 2008, 12:53 pm #8

The original "Wongs" was a mix of sprinters and this goes back to the late 90's. Not all were from Ottawa and Montreal but a good chunk of them were and the boat was stacked. What you see now is nothing like the "original".

A former IMM
A former IMM

August 6th, 2008, 1:22 pm #9

Hey, is that you, old guy?

We never did get around to gathering the gang for a brewski after you came back from vacation?

The former web-guy.

Anonymous
Anonymous

August 6th, 2008, 1:42 pm #10

<<The Wongs Dragonslayers ruled in their prime. MCC was the only team to beat them in the NCCCC (can't remember the year) Won the race off to go to the Worlds in Rome by a mile, where they won the bronze after Madawaska's silver and can't remember who's gold (italy I think, but they must have been doped up <sic>)>>

It was Drago (Germany) would ran away from Madawaska. It was a race to watch. The German's were just brutes.