Senior B Open / Mixed Selection

Senior B Open / Mixed Selection

Frustrated
Frustrated

April 20th, 2012, 11:50 pm #1

Anyone studied this document?
http://dragonboat.ca/files/NATS%20SCHED21_0.pdf

The way I read it, if I live in Vancouver and wish to try for a seat on the Senior B Mixed/Open crews, I will have to travel to Central Canada seven times. And don't forget the additional trip to the five day camp in Charlston, South Carolina. Why not hold that camp in say "Vancouver" (or Calgary, or Edmonton, or Halifax)? Charlston does have the advantage of maximizing the costs of every one outside of the blessed Golden Triangle.

Please don't pretend that you are slightly interested in going outside of your circle of friends to look for the best paddlers in Canada.

You will notice that only one crew out of 15, Premier Mixed, has attempted to have a camp in both Vancouver and Toronto/Montreal.

In Tampa 2010, 38 of 39 paddlers were from Central Canada. I will have to ask Bob how he got in.

Anonymous
Anonymous

April 21st, 2012, 1:17 am #2

The road going to National is not easy. If you dont like it. Dont go. There's always Senior A.

Frustrated
Frustrated

April 21st, 2012, 1:56 am #3

The way I read it, if I live in Vancouver and wish to try for a seat on the Senior B Mixed/Open crews, I will have to travel to Central Canada seven times. And don't forget the additional trip to the five day camp in Charlston, South Carolina. Why not hold that camp in say "Vancouver" (or Calgary, or Edmonton, or Halifax)? Charlston does have the advantage of maximizing the costs of every one outside of the blessed Golden Triangle.

Please don't pretend that you are slightly interested in going outside of your circle of friends to look for the best paddlers in Canada.

You will notice that only one crew out of 15, Premier Mixed, has attempted to have a camp in both Vancouver and Toronto/Montreal.

In Tampa 2010, 38 of 39 paddlers were from Central Canada. I will have to ask Bob how he got in.
Then don't call it "National"
Call it "Toronto and Friends"

Frustrated
Frustrated

April 21st, 2012, 2:02 am #4

And how can I go to Senior A?
They have not issued even their GTA Centric Requirements

I guess I could do Premier Mixed
At least I could reduce my traveling cost by $1,000.

Anonymous
Anonymous

April 21st, 2012, 2:57 am #5

Have to agree. Very Toronto centric.

Anonymous
Anonymous

April 21st, 2012, 2:57 am #6

Have to agree. Very Toronto centric.

Anonymous
Anonymous

April 21st, 2012, 2:59 am #7

Do Premier A. Leave Senior B to rot. No need a second boat.

Frustrated
Frustrated

April 21st, 2012, 3:36 am #8

Premier Mixed is OK. They, at least recognize that there might be some DB talent west of Welland.

Nothing on Premier Open, but if it goes to form, then costs will be minimized for GTA and maximized for "West of Welland".

Anonymous
Anonymous

April 21st, 2012, 4:11 am #9

I can understand your frustration if you live outside the region the crew is being primarily recruited from. This is similar to the way that paddlers east of Vancouver had to bend over backwards to be part of the Prem Open crews, or paddlers west of Montreal felt about Senior Mixed, just to cite two examples.

Every crew has to have a primary location with secondary or tertiary input from outer regions. That's just the way it is in a country this WIDE.

And to speak to the specific, given their history of success is there any reason why you would even want Senior B to be formed outside of Southern Ontario? Didn't they sweep the podium, or am I missing something?

Anonymous
Anonymous

April 21st, 2012, 4:49 am #10

"And how can I go to Senior A?
They have not issued even their GTA Centric Requirements"

Get over yourself, dude. If you want to take on Senior A just contact the director.