Roger Ebert being worthless V2.109349820

Roger Ebert being worthless V2.109349820

Dante Bean
Dante Bean

April 15th, 2010, 5:01 pm #1

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbc ... /100419986

His Kick-Ass review is inspiring a lot of discussion and it should be obvious what side of the fence I'm on. Instead of an objective review we get a morality lesson (despite this movie being an obvious satire, which he does weakly acknowledge) and slaps it with a one star rating.

I've not seen this movie yet. I hear it's great, but who knows, I may hate it. But if I give it one star, it sure wouldn't be because "I grew sad."

"This isn't comic violence."
That's exactly what it is.

"Let's say you're a big fan of the original comic book, and you think the movie does it justice. You know what? You inhabit a world I am so very not interested in"
You've managed to review innumerable other comic book movies.

"I know, I know. This is a satire. But a satire of what? The movie's rated R, which means in this case that it's doubly attractive to anyone under 17. I'm not too worried about 16-year-olds here."
Are we really going down this road? I've heard this argument a million times, and it ususally starts and ends with the radical right, or my great Aunt.

The whole review made me sick. I could go on and on, but I'll throw it to the movay board for now to the benefit of my blood pressure.

April 15th, 2010, 7:47 pm #2

Yeah, I read that this morning - was a rather disturbing review - and made the movie sound quite disturbing.

Maybe you ought to go see the 4-star Avatar to help you cool down, Dante.

April 19th, 2010, 5:39 pm #3

In the national newspaper in my city there's a critic that I can't stand. It obivous that I have different tastes in movies and don't need someone to dicate what to see. That's my philosophy.

April 19th, 2010, 6:26 pm #4

Hey Dante,

Did you see his latest blog reiterating his position that videogames aren't and never will be "art"?

The post itself is pretty much what you'd expect and not worth much, but the reader comments - nearly 1300 of them - are really interesting. Totally great reading if you're interested in game theory. (For the record, most of the comments are in disagreement with him)

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2010/04 ... e_art.html

Dante Bean
Dante Bean

April 20th, 2010, 2:54 am #5

His games as art thing irks me too. I wonder what the thousands of artists who work on them say about it. Oh wait, no I don't. Just like movies, games have their mindless romps. But they also have things like this:

He's just a goofy old bastard who will be telling kids to get off his lawn to the grave.

April 20th, 2010, 12:15 pm #6

Have any of you jerks played shadow of colossus yet?

April 20th, 2010, 2:00 pm #7

Yeah. I totally dug it. I actually only made it about halfway through. One of the beasts was just too damn hard - and the total lonely vibe of the game was really getting to me in a soul-sucking way. That's not to say it was bad - it was absolutely awesome and achieved what it set out to do, which is create an atmosphere of intense isolation.

I then watched a few days later as the 10 year old totally passed me by, like, three monsters and felt stupid.

April 20th, 2010, 3:37 pm #8

Yeah man it was unlike most of the other games I've played can't suggest it enough. The only issue I had with it is the last colossus isn't the same vibe as the rest, and kind of changes the feel of the game. It's the only game I actually felt sorry for the things I was killing, not in a 'Look at these things die, it's too easy' way but in a 'These guys are just minding their own business and I'm murdering them' kinda way.

And I know how you feel my little cousin is starting to beat me up pretty good in Madden. I'm going to have to start taking drastic measures to ensure victory.

April 20th, 2010, 5:02 pm #9

I also tried the sister game Ico. Didn't like it as much as Colossus, but it also had a very melancholy vibe that I admired.

Interesting about the 'feeling sorry for the monsters' bit. I'd never thought of it that way but you're totally right.

Dante Bean
Dante Bean

April 20th, 2010, 5:18 pm #10

I beat Shadow of the Colossus the week it came out. I am a huge, huge fan of Ico (pictured above) and it's one of my favorite games ever. I enjoy it much more than colossus.

The third game in this "series" comes out this year for PS3, it's called the Last Guardian. Check it out if you haven't already.