Kick Ass

Kick Ass

Dante Bean
Dante Bean

April 17th, 2010, 4:17 am #1

Awesome. I have no complaints other than at two hours, it does wear thin. All the "controversy" around this movie makes me ill. I really don't know how a kid with a potty mouth overshadows some of the things modern cinema is capable of these days. In recent years I've seen a mother get raped while a handgun was held to her infant's head, but nary a blip on the radar about that scene or ones like it. And after seeing it it makes Ebert's bogus review even more annoying, and there are flat out lies in it to make his point sound better. Literally made up. Ugh.

Funny movie, the story is surprisingly great, it is Hit Girl's movie, that friend form Hot Tub Time Machine is awesome, the action and set pieces are incredible (30 million bucks for this blows my mind, it looks like a 100mil movie), one of the best to come out this year. My friend I went with said it's the best movie he's seen since Dark Knight. I'd write a review proper, but I'm sure Todd is seeing it.

Angry Man
Angry Man

April 17th, 2010, 6:25 am #2

Saw this last night. Was not too keen on going as I had not seen a trailer, and the poster looked pathetic, but I heard it was getting rave reviews and thought I would check it out.

In short, the movie is the most entertaining I've seen in years. It switches from goofy comedy to extreme violence so fast your head spins. The plot was unexpectedly good. The main characters were likeable. The fights were well choreographed and cleanly filmed. No unwatchable shaky-cam to compensate for the director's lack of skill, as we see in all to many movies now. Hit Girl is an instant classic.

Highly recommended... for adults, that is. I will definitely NOT be taking my nephew to this one.

(This brings Nick Cage's total of good films to 2)

TTG
TTG

April 17th, 2010, 6:40 am #3

Angry man if you are saying the other good movie he's done is Raising Arizona then I'm on board. Dante you son of a gun you watched this opening night? you're waaayyy more dedicated than me, and I thought I was the resident comic book nerd... I guess I'll have to step up my efforts. But yes I'm pumped to see this movie, and it came out on my middle brother's birthday so I couldn't see it (we had to go out and drink and stuff) but i will be seeing it soon, I'm hoping for good things.

Dante Bean
Dante Bean

April 17th, 2010, 3:38 pm #4

I had planned to wait til Sunday, but I got off work early yesterday, and I called in for the first half of today (for Record Store Day! recordstoreday.com, get out there!), so I couldn't resist.

Also, The Weather Man, Lord of War, Matchstick Men, Adaptation, Bringing out the Dead, The Rock (best action movie, evar!), Con Air, Face Off, Leaving Las Vegas, Trapped in Paradise, in addition to Raising Arizona and a couple others. Cage gets too much hate!

Smirk
Smirk

April 17th, 2010, 3:59 pm #5

Nick Cage is a totally unreliable actor in that he has done some really awesome work as Dante has mentioned, and then he'll totally slum in not just mediocre films, but downright horrible films like, Next. Sometimes I wonder if its not intentional. He was also very good in Peggy Sue Got Married - one of his early roles. But really, he carried that whole movie and was the only truly interesting character in it.

Captainbob
Captainbob

April 17th, 2010, 9:54 pm #6

Saw it. Way better than expected. I think Todd should see it. Imagine he'd like it.

April 18th, 2010, 4:49 pm #7

Two words:

Ghost Rider

April 18th, 2010, 7:20 pm #8

I went to see this film last night. Awesome! To comment on what Dante said earlier about Hit Girl's "potty mouth" - who cares! Geez! When I was growing up, there were kids swearing like it was nothing, and yes I agree that there are films that portray far extreme graphic scenes.

This film is proof that you can't judge a film based on its trailer. Well paced, funny, and not boring at all. I'd love to read Todd's take on this.

Dante Bean
Dante Bean

April 18th, 2010, 9:53 pm #9

Two words:

Hollywood Homicide

April 18th, 2010, 10:13 pm #10

That was a piece of cinema gold and you know it...