weeze
weeze

June 23rd, 2007, 5:55 pm #1

Finally a good review for a movie! welcome back tODD! Glad you didn't phone this one in because I am excited to see it.

June 24th, 2007, 3:35 pm #2

Haven't yet read Todd's review, but I was disappointed by 1408. Meh.

----------------------------------------
<font size=1>http://blogcabins.blogspot.com
Come into the Blog Cabins. It's all woodsy inside!</font>

The Phantom
The Phantom

June 24th, 2007, 10:25 pm #3

Finally a good review for a movie! welcome back tODD! Glad you didn't phone this one in because I am excited to see it.
Overall, the movie was well done. But as David Spade would say...

They should close that hotel down. If you have a room in your hotel where 36 people have died and it snows occasionally, then it may be a good idea to close it.

But still, very good movie. I'm a big Stephen King fan, and it's good to see his works get on the big screen.

-The Phantom

Pookie
Pookie

June 25th, 2007, 2:44 pm #4

Haven't yet read Todd's review, but I was disappointed by 1408. Meh.

I agree, the movie was not that great. Not bad, but definatly not a good movie. It's a movie that I walked out feeling I had wasted my time and 8.50

Comet999
Comet999

June 25th, 2007, 5:08 pm #5

Overall, the movie was well done. But as David Spade would say...

They should close that hotel down. If you have a room in your hotel where 36 people have died and it snows occasionally, then it may be a good idea to close it.

But still, very good movie. I'm a big Stephen King fan, and it's good to see his works get on the big screen.

-The Phantom
I have to say that most of Stephen King's books generally don't translate well to the big screen.

June 25th, 2007, 11:16 pm #6

I liked Misery.&nbsp; That's from a Stephen King Story isn't it?&nbsp; James Caan&nbsp; . . . . Cathy Bates . . . . It's a nail biter of a movie.&nbsp; I really got into it eventhough I've never actually read any of his novels.&nbsp;

June 26th, 2007, 5:09 am #7

I can't speak for most, but there are certainly a handful of classic films from King stories (Shawshank, Shining, It, Stand by Me, Carrie). Chalk it up to how prolific a writer he is, I suppose.

MEbossyouNOT
MEbossyouNOT

June 28th, 2007, 1:26 am #8

Just saw 1408 two days ago. Thought it was ok but yeah it got worse towards the end.

Frankly imo King's writing is too good to totally fuck up as a movie. Even the worst ones are still decent enough and scarier than the usual horror movie schlock thats out there. Christine, Silver Bullet, Creepshow, to name a few.

Carrie and Shining are heavy hitters but too stylistically biased; they were more scary in a Brian De Palma and Stanley Kubrick way than a Stephen King way.

Misery ranks as one of my all time fav King movies. It was scary as hell but then again I think Kathy Bates had as much, if not more, to do with that as King did. Has any other woman ever been so scary in a movie?

Stand By Me is a classic but seems like it could have been a really long episode of Wonder Years.

Some tv miniseries popped up here and there; tommyknockers, the stand, and IT. Only IT is worth the time. It was well cast and the scariness hit the right center of King scary. Unfortunately it was a tv series and thus limited by its low budget. If nothing else, this series boasts having been the impetus for an entire generation of tv watchers to confront and admit to their complete and utter fear of clowns.

Ironically the scariest King adaptations happen to be based on his non-scary stories. The Shawshank Redemption, besides being the greatest film of all time, had the most frightening scenes to me and the scariest bad guys. The Green Mile as well seemed to be pitch perfect in translating King's scare flavor. Remember the dry sponge electric chair scene?
Frank Darabont comes closer than anyone to capturing the true personal horror and evil that lies within natural men. But the non-scary stuff in Green Mile was superfluous and Shawshank ultimately turned out too good to be appreciated merely as a King adaptation. Perhaps the only instance I can think of, other than Amadeus, where the movie outdid the original book.

But the best Stephen King movie IMO is one that gets surprisingly unmentioned; The Dead Zone. To me it seemed the perfect marriage of one director (DAvid Cronenberg)'s movie-making and King's storytelling. Also King's particular theme of the story of a man coming to terms with a "gift" that saves others while its slowly killing him seems to me the most movingly portrayed, properly executed and sufficiently emphasized in this movie than the themes in all the others

Thatturkishguy
Thatturkishguy

June 28th, 2007, 1:58 pm #9

Thanks for reminding me about Deadzone... I've been meaning to watch that damn movie for a while and it always just slips my mind. Now I'm on a mission.

MEbossyouNOT
MEbossyouNOT

June 28th, 2007, 2:54 pm #10

let me know what you think